The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Loire, Saar, and South of France

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Loire, Saar, and South of France

by Dale Williams » Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Monday I was in charge of meatless dinner, made toor dal, coconut rice, & Bihari green beans masala, served with naan and the 2008 von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett. Zippy limeade treat, great acids, full flavors but on a light chassis, the kind of classic Saar Kab that’s hard to find these days. Revisited on day 4 the acids have kept it alive, though flavors are more grapefruity/Frescaesque. B+/A-

Tuesday was teriyaki salmon, grilled corn (from Florida, but good!), herb and sprout salad, and grilled squash. Wine was the 2012 Riotor rose (Cotes de Provence). Lighter styled Provencal pink, with strawberry and cherry fruit spiked with a note of lime. Nice if not complex. B

Thursday was grilled Cornish hens (lime/mint/soy marinade), grilled eggplant and zucchini, brown rice, and watercress salad. Wine was the 2011 Clos Roche Blanche #5 Touraine Sauvignon Blanc. Grapefruit, a bit of grass, moderate acids, very nice SB. But I confess to being a bit surprised, my memories of previous vintages of the #5 were of a more exotic, fuller wine (always thought of it as a little Cotat-ish) - I doublechecked to make sure I hadn’t opened the #2 by mistake. Good wine, but lighter than I wanted as a food match. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Loire, Saar, and South of France

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 pm

That von Hovel wss a steal at WTSO. Wish I had bought cases.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Dale: How many version of the Clos Roche T SB are there? I haven't see any available locally in quite a while..I do remember it as being pretty full bodied and was sorry to me local source stop bringing it in
Jon
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 17, 2013 6:34 pm

yes, David, I should have gotten 24, not 6.

Jon, I think the only 2 Sb cuvees are the numero 2 ("regular") and the numero 5.