Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bourdain - Parts Unknown

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Bourdain - Parts Unknown

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Bourdain's new CNN show has been quite entertaining, but the last eposide, set in Quebec, is a blow out I'll keep on my DVR for awhile. You can't view the whole thing online, but take a look at

http://www.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony- ... n/episode4

Heavy lush food isn't our style out here on the coast, but watching them slather foie gras all over meat and then shave black truffle over it all was a guilty pleasure even if one wouldn't like to indulge in that sort of cooking very often.

Take a look if you want to see Tony eating beaver (Bourdain: 'There's a play on words here somewhere, but I'm going to pass it by, this food is so good")

Coming up - Tangiers, Libya, Peru and the Congo!

Hey - found the whole episode on Youtube. Tell me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpFH14fJyg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Bourdain - Parts Unknown

by Jenise » Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 pm

We finally caught up with the Koreatown (Los Angeles) episode last night. The new series really isn't any different from the old, it's just on a different channel. Which means some episodes will be extremely entertaining and thought-provoking, and others will leave you wondering what in the heck happened (from No Reservations, I can name Romania, Greece and Buffalo NY as some of the worst). If Koreatown and Columbia (the two from PU I've seen so far) are any indication, then the new shows differ only in being more food-centric. More eating and fewer set-ups by the local Chamber of Commerce, or its equivalent, will be a very very good thing. Oh, and no more of that Russian guy, PLEASE.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 am

Watch the Canadian episode at the link I posted if you have time. Be interested to hear what you think.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am

"Parts Unknown" sounds like an attempt to describe what's used to make Chicken McNuggets.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Watch the Canadian episode at the link I posted if you have time. Be interested to hear what you think.

I'll do better--I've got it on DVR, I'll watch it on the big teeve.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Prepare for food overload! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Last week he recorded a show in Buffalo. At least one of my friends, Jonathan Oakes, from Leonard Oakes Winery will be on the show with his Steampunk Hard Cider. I don't know when it will be aired.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Last week he recorded a show in Buffalo. At least one of my friends, Jonathan Oakes, from Leonard Oakes Winery will be on the show with his Steampunk Hard Cider. I don't know when it will be aired.

That will be cool. I hope you understood that my criticism of that show had anything to do with Buffalo not being a great place to visit, it was just too much hanging around bars and not enough visiting!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Jenice said "Oh, and no more of that Russian guy, PLEASE".d:

So true, Jenice, He's nothing but a drunk and free food loader!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Somehow, I've never seen his earlier visit to Buffalo. Apparently, at that time I was just laid off and looking for work, so I had other priorities. I did a search and found this local review of his last visit and Jenise, I can see why you didn't like the show. http://www.buffalochow.com/2009/07/how_anthony_bourdain_blew_it_o.html
Trust me, Buffalo and the area have a lot to offer.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Somehow, I've never seen his earlier visit to Buffalo. Apparently, at that time I was just laid off and looking for work, so I had other priorities. I did a search and found this local review of his last visit and Jenise, I can see why you didn't like the show. http://www.buffalochow.com/2009/07/how_anthony_bourdain_blew_it_o.html
Trust me, Buffalo and the area have a lot to offer.

I know. Btw, that's a very fair and well-written review. Another plus for Buffalo!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Drew Hall wrote:
Jenice said "Oh, and no more of that Russian guy, PLEASE".d:

So true, Jenice, He's nothing but a drunk and free food loader!

He's stikes me as the kind of guy that if he showed up at your house for a night he'd stay a month. You wouldn't be able to get rid of him--or leave him alone with your daughter.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon May 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Caught his Moroccan show last night. The food looked fantastic, but the rest was like an old movie rerun.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 pm

We liked the food we had in Montréal, but really loved the food we had in Quebec.

So I am interested in watching this show when I can find the time, thanks for the tip.

Would love to get back up there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Watched the Quebec episode this weekend. What fun--the food was as over the top as anything I've ever seen on one of his shows. A blast to watch, though I can't say I'd want to eat everything I saw!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Caught his Moroccan show last night. The food looked fantastic, but the rest was like an old movie rerun.

I watched this show and was thoroughly disappointed. I have never been a fan of drug culture, and I thought this show spent entirely too much time with Bourdain too enthralled in the memory of his glory days as a druggie. Did he have to visit the old hippie hang-out to see if he could still get a contact high? And, was it necessary for him to get a show of hands from the over 50 crowd about how many of them were still smoking hash? :roll: I found the show juvenile and lacking in any real review about the food scene in Tangiers -- an afterthought. It did not encourage my enthusiasm about any other shows.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:Caught his Moroccan show last night. The food looked fantastic, but the rest was like an old movie rerun.

I watched this show and was thoroughly disappointed. I have never been a fan of drug culture, and I thought this show spent entirely too much time with Bourdain too enthralled in the memory of his glory days as a druggie. Did he have to visit the old hippie hang-out to see if he could still get a contact high? And, was it necessary for him to get a show of hands from the over 50 crowd about how many of them were still smoking hash? :roll: I found the show juvenile and lacking in any real review about the food scene in Tangiers -- an afterthought. It did not encourage my enthusiasm about any other shows.

I like Bourdain but I have to agree pretty much with your review of the Morocco show. I think they have to come up with some new format if that's possible? The show he has now has just run out of ideas and places, etc.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

Lou Kessler wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

I like Bourdain but I have to agree pretty much with your review of the Morocco show. I think they have to come up with some new format if that's possible? The show he has now has just run out of ideas and places, etc.

It's too bad to hear reviews like this, but it's been a steady progression, hasn't it? "A Cook's Tour" was in most regards superior to "No Reservations" and now "Parts Unknown" is a step (or two) further downward. It's a familiar progression, but a shame nonetheless.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Jo Ann,

I finally caught up with the Morroccan episode last night. I was never part of that drug culture and have no affection for William S. Burroughs so I wasn't any more enamored of that, or the fact that the food he sampled seemed to be what you do after you get high, than you were. However,I do appreciate that what Tony brings to everything he sees is a point of view--as compared to Rick Steves' cliche-driven descriptions of popular tourist destinations--and this episode did make me aware of an aspect of Morrocco I didn't understand. I certainly wasn't bored.

Anyway, don't give up on old Tony. The Libya episode is terriffic. It's a most realistic and current portrayal of who/what Libya is today and it offers a privileged insight most of us have no other access to.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 pm

The Libya episode was intersting even though I felt Bourdain was limited in material because of the situation in the country.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:The Libya episode was intersting even though I felt Bourdain was limited in material because of the situation in the country.

Sure was. But it fit the description "Parts Unknown" about as well as anything could. Pretty relevant for a network like CNN, too.