Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tell me about lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Tell me about lamb

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am

Jim Cassidy wrote:I think I recall you preferring meat well done. That might rule out my favorite lamb recipe, chops rubbed with crushed garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper browned in olive oil and butter. Throw some chopped shallots and herbs in the pan for a minute, deglaze with the red you are drinking with dinner, reduce and finish the sauce w/butter.

Might be too dry if you finished the chops to well done in the oven.

Jim, despite James Roscoe's comments to the contrary, I have learned to like meat less than well done. More like medium to med-well. I know, small difference to the folks who prefer their steaks to be still mooing on the plate. So once I kill the beast and render it into meal sized bits, I will definitely try some chops. Being without a meat saw, I need to find a decent cleaver, I suppose.
I have at the moment two candidate lambs for the table. One is a wool breed ram lamb (sold to me as a Jacob, but more likely a Navajo-Churro) that is about 5 or so months old.
The other is a Painted Desert ram lamb (a hair sheep breed) that is more likely only 3 or 4 months. Have a pair of those, one horned and one naturally polled, and both still nursing a bit. Still haven't decided whether to keep the horned or hornless for breeding.
One has to go, either eaten or sold.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

Dick Krueger, on another board, often posts about Churro lamb -- ribs, chops, whatever. He says it's a bit tougher and the flavor is stronger than "regular" breeds of lamb, and I think he tends to braise it. When lamb is roasted, grilled, whatever I really like it pink or red inside -- but the richness of braised lamb shanks can be unbelievably good.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 pm

I like my lamb cooked to medium (pink).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:One has to go, either eaten or sold.

:cry: I'm such a wimp.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:One has to go, either eaten or sold.

:cry: I'm such a wimp.

Well, we have two adult ewes (one already bred back), two ewe lambs, and four ram lambs. That's WAY too many boys, so someone has to be the sacrificial lamb... or two. Trouble is, I like the looks of both the Painted Desert ram lambs, but can only justify keeping one. Butchering chickens that we've raised from day-old chicks to eatin' size helps get the squeamishness out of the way (plus all the deer I've put up over the years). Raising my own lamb, turkeys, chooks, etc has been the goal since we moved onto this property. Of course, Gail has me do the dispatching. She can handle killing a predator after the livestock, but she draws the line at pulling the trigger on something she's named. :shock:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:She can handle killing a predator after the livestock, but she draws the line at pulling the trigger on something she's named. :shock:

Note to self: Don't give names to future food (unless it's a name like "Stew Pot" or "Pepper Jerky").
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:She can handle killing a predator after the livestock, but she draws the line at pulling the trigger on something she's named. :shock:

Note to self: Don't give names to future food (unless it's a name like "Stew Pot" or "Pepper Jerky").

Somewhat off the topic, but when I talk to prospective graduate students, I tell them that in our research we'll work with enzymes, DNA or cultured cells, but that we draw the line at anything that requires care and feeding or that gets its own name :mrgreen:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed May 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Unless it's ribs or shanks I prefer my lamb rare/medium rare, the same with venison (both deer and elk).
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm

I like shanks in many preparations.

I do a killer loin rubbed with North African spices, in phyllo (I know Jenise isn't a fan of pastry wrapped meat but I think she's had this and can comment), and I often marinate a boned leg and then BBQ it medium rare - heavenly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 02, 2013 10:06 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I like shanks in many preparations.

I do a killer loin rubbed with North African spices, in phyllo (I know Jenise isn't a fan of pastry wrapped meat but I think she's had this and can comment), and I often marinate a boned leg and then BBQ it medium rare - heavenly.

I'm not a fan of pastry wrapped meat? OH, you're remembering my lament on beef wellington, I think. I actually love the idea of pastry and meat, I just don't like the soggy pastry that typically results. Your phyllo wrapped lamb (boneless, for others' information) was superb.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous