The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Albino Rocca - Current Releases

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: Albino Rocca - Current Releases

by Andrew Bair » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Due to an extremely busy schedule, it has been a few months since I have posted anything here, which I am really sorry about. Anyway, I am now going to try to catch up and post notes of wines from earlier this year, starting with some of the most recent. This first group of notes are from an in-store event that I attended this past Saturday.

April 27, 2013 – Albino Rocca - Current Releases, Vintages, Concord, MA
In my humble opinion, this producer is one of the best at bridging the gap between the more traditional and modern styles of Barbaresco. Although Daniela Rocca, the daughter of the late Albino, was in town to present her wines the day before, I was unable to go then - it would have definitely been great to meet and talk with her about her wines and Barbaresco in general.
Since these 2009 Barbarescos are the first that I have tried so far from this year, I don't have much of a feel for the vintage yet. Evidently, however, some successful wines were made, and I am looking to trying more in the near future.
Also note that now, some wines besides the standard Barbaresco are labeled with the vintage year spelled out; I like this in terms of presentation/design/marketing.

2011 Barbera d’Alba DOC "duemilaundici"
Medium-bodied, bright, well balanced, with good lift and moderate tannin; lightly floral, with youthful cherry and plum notes. Very good.

2010 Nebbiolo d’Alba DOC "duemiladieci"
Light to medium-bodied, elegant, with good underlying acidity and light to moderate tannin. Very approachable now, with cherry, rose, baking spice, and lightly earthy notes. Very good.

2009 Barbaresco "duemilanove"
Medium-bodied, moderately structured for Barbaresco, with bright acidity; shows notes of cherries, roses, baking spices, and hints of tar and mint. Very good/excellent.

2009 Barbaresco Ronchi
Full-bodied, well balanced, with spicier tannins; shows notes of cherries, red plums, cedar, roses, and a bit of tar. Excellent.

2008 Barbaresco Ovello Vigna Loreto
Full-bodied, smooth, elegant, well balanced, with cherry, dark berry, baking spice, tar, rose, and lightly herbal notes. Excellent.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Albino Rocca - Current Releases

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 02, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks. 2009 is supposed to be ripe/forward. No indications of low quality though.
Decisions are made by those who show up