The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Abbazia di Novacella 2011s

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: Abbazia di Novacella 2011s

by Andrew Bair » Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Another group of older notes from almost a month ago, while I clean out the archives. The note for the Pinot Nero is cross-posted in the April Wine Focus thread.

April 6, 2013 - Stiftskellerei Neustift Abbazia di Novacella Tasting, Panzano Provviste, Southborough, MA
I really like this producer's wines, and 2011 appears to be another solid vintage here. All of these are in the $20s, so they are not prohibitively priced if you are looking for something a bit different. The Grüner Veltliner - often simply called Veltliner in Alto Adige - is as good as I have had from outside Austria, while their Sylvaner is always one of the best examples from outside of Franken (though the style is completely different).
Panzano Provviste is a neat little Italian market on the way out toward Worcester - I would certainly go there more often if it were located closer to where I live and work. The same people also own a restaurant, Tomasso, that is very well-priced for the quality of the food, wine, and service.

2011 Grüner Veltliner Alto Adige DOC Eisacktaler
Light-bodied, delicate, bone dry, well balanced, with moderate acidity; mildly herbal, with notes of stone fruits, mountain air, and minerals. Very good. $23.

2011 Sylvaner Alto Adige DOC Eisacktaler
Medium-bodied, well-balanced, bone dry, with good underlying acidity. Peachy, tropical, lightly floral, with sharp minerality. Very good+. $23.

2011 Pinot Nero Marklhof Alto Adige DOC
From an estate in Cornaiano, south of Bolzano. Lighter-bodied, floral. Lightly mineral, with notes of red berries, plums, and mountain air. Nicely balanced, with moderate acidity and very light tannins. Very good. $26.

2011 Lagrein Mariaheim Alto Adige DOC
From a single vineyard. Medium-bodied, with elegant tannins; well balanced, with moderate acidity. Lightly floral, with cherry, plum, and mixed berry notes, along hints of spices and minerals. Very good+. $23.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks...

by TomHill » Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks for the TN's, Andrew. One of my most favorite producers. Their wines are always solid.
Tom