The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gruner from Cal.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Gruner from Cal.

by Jim Grow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I opened this 2010 Zocker Winery Gruner Veiltliner from the Paragon vineyard in Edna Valley, with grilled chicken tonight and was fine with the match. The wine was very light straw color with a nose and palate of herbs and a kinda light pinot gris fruit but not sweet at all. Not at all aromatic, this wine is a little hard to describe. The herbs are muted and definitely not the pea flavors I often get from Austrian G.V. Does anyone else in Cal. produce G.V. and if so, who are leading the way? Abv of %13.5
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 am

Jim Grow wrote:I opened this 2010 Zocker Winery Gruner Veiltliner from the Paragon vineyard in Edna Valley, with grilled chicken tonight and was fine with the match. The wine was very light straw color with a nose and palate of herbs and a kinda light pinot gris fruit but not sweet at all. Not at all aromatic, this wine is a little hard to describe. The herbs are muted and definitely not the pea flavors I often get from Austrian G.V. Does anyone else in Cal. produce G.V. and if so, who are leading the way? Abv of %13.5

Your take on the Zocker is pretty much the same as mine, Jim. Just a bit on the dull side. Pleasant enough..but not a lot of GV character.
The first Calif GV was by vonStrasser. They priced it at $60. Way/way overpriced. But (a little bit) of sanity prevailed and they've dropped the price
to $35-$40. Pleasant enough, but just that..still overpriced.
DonSchroeder/Chien down in Lompoc makes one that pretty good. About $25.
But easily the best is MikeOfficer/Carlisle. Stand heads & shoulders above anybody eles's in Calif. Very good even by Austrian standards.
Priced abouut $27 and worth every penny. But frightfully difficult to find...very scarce.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: Gruner from Cal.

by Ryan M » Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 am

I had this one back in September, and thought it an impressive effort:

Darci Kent, Gruner Veltliner, Rava Blackjack Vineyard, Monterey County 2009
Classic GV character on the nose, with vegetal notes, creme fraiche, citrus, pear, and slate. Similar on the palate, with citrus rind, ripe pear and apricot, and some salty notes. Less acid and slate than in Austrian GVs, but this is instantly recognizable and quite faithful, while bringing the nice ripe fruit that Cali has to offer. * * 1/2 [9/27/12]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Gruner from Cal.

by Brian Gilp » Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 am

There is an interesting discussion on another board where Casey asks for thoughts about putting in GV at the vineyard he manages now in Anderson Valley. He has targets for what he wants to be able to gross per acre and the majority opinion is that Gruner is not going to get the price needed to justify planting. Too little demand and too low of a price point.