Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Confiserie Bigot, Amboise, France.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Confiserie Bigot, Amboise, France.

by Noel Ermitano » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am

Just in case anyone finds him/herself peckish in Amboise:

Thursday, the 5th April 2013, we started out late, so had time to visit only one royal castle: Château de Chambord. On the way there, Catha suggested we have lunch again in Amboise. It being such a charming little town, I readily agreed, pulled up roadside, entered the GPS coordinates, and we were there in a few minutes.

Having had breakfast not too long before, we decided to have a light lunch at Confiserie Bigot (Place du Château 37400 Amboise, France); at the foot of the castle's long entrance ramp) which had caught our eyes the previous day. The establishment, founded in 1913, is celebrating its 100th year in the business - so we figured they must be doing something right. We were not mistaken.

It being very cold out, Mauro & Joaqi immediately ordered hot chocolate to warm themselves (well, I'm sure the chocolate had something to do with it too). Above is Mauro's Chocolat Chaud Traditionnelle.

Joaqi's Chocolat Chaud Chantilly.

Catha & I each had the Salade Lardons, Croutons & Oeufs (para healthy).

Mauro had the Quiche Lorraine.

Renzo & Joaqi each had a Quiche Tourangelle.

Too much of anything isn't good - even the "para healthy". Thus, we loaded up on desserts, Catha and the kids went to the display cases and ordered a bunch - after all, the sweet stuff is what carried the family-owned-and-run confiserie successfully for a century and counting.

Chocolate Eclair

Napoleon

Tarte Citron & Alsatian Pear Cake

Baba au Rum

A large cookie for dipping in one's chocolat chaud.

Giant Coffee Macaron (there were many other flavors).

A very large Chocolate Cream Puff.

Naturally, I had some hot chocolate with the pastries as well. We loved everything. What I particularly liked is that the cream tasted like pastry cream, the chocolate tastes like chocolate - unlike many, many pastries everywhere where everything just tastes mainly like sugar.

Confiserie Bigot has been run by four generations of Bigot women. Currently, it is headed by Christiane Bigot. Hanging proudly near our table is an old photograph depicting, among others, Christiane's great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother.

Catha & the kids with Christiane Bigot.

As we were having dessert, Christiane came over, introduced herself, asked where we were from, and the warm, lively conversation started from there (her English is excellent, by the way - certainly way better than our rudimentary French). She also asked us to sign her "Golden Book", which, of course, we happily did.

With Christiane at the helm with her sincere, warm hospitality, graciousness, and natural charm, not to mention the excellent quiches, salads, desserts, candies, and pastries, I am certain Confiserie Bigot will continue only from strength to strength for at least another 100 years.

If ever one finds oneself in Amboise, take it from us, one simply must eat here, and/or take some pastries along for later on.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Confiserie Bigot, Amboise, France.

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 am

I am speechless with envy. Absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing. Drool, drool! :mrgreen:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 am

Wow. I wasn't hungry a couple of minutes ago.

Thanks for that - those photos are beautiful!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Beautiful! And that's possibly the most perfect chocolate eclair I've ever seen.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Jo Ann - I know you don't frequent the Wine Forum, but you should go there, just to see his other dinner posts.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Dear Jo Ann, Mike, Jenise, & Howie,

Thank you all for your kind words. Christiane Bigot deserves all the credit for her delicious and beautiful pastries. I just pass the word (and images) around. I am happy, though, that you enjoyed my post.

Best to you all,

N