The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One of the most exquisite Mosels I've had

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: One of the most exquisite Mosels I've had

by Saina » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Auslese #190 2001
8% abv. This is a producer I am particularly fond of, but even so this seems like an uncommonly exquisite wine. A lovely honeyed Rieslingness and a bit of nice, refreshing greenness (I'm trying to reclaim this word to mean something positive because it really is a lovely smell and there's really no other word to describe it!). There is much of everything: much fruit, much sugar, much acidity - so the balance is impeccable but the overall impression is that of a very rich wine. Absolutely fantastic. No hurry.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: One of the most exquisite Mosels I've had

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Thank you Otto. I have some of these. Am now salivating in anticipation of opening one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Sounds great. When drinking Grunhaus I often call it 'verdant' as a more positive way of saying 'green', but it amounts to the same thing. Deliciousness.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Ooh! I've always loved this estate's wines. Especially the Abstburg. I only wish I were fortunate enough to own some of this treasure.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Well, I'm fortunate enough to have a couple, but they're half-bottles. Better 375s than none at all!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 am

Premier Cru blowout sale Dale? That's how I picked up mine and some of the 2001 Herrenberg fuder numbered auslese.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 am

You cannot buy Grünhaus blind, but you do sometimes hit the jackpot with the numbered Ausleses! Congrats!

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 am

Fredrik L wrote:You cannot buy Grünhaus blind, but you do sometimes hit the jackpot with the numbered Ausleses!

really? really?

Other than a few tough vintages in the late '90s/early '00s (and only '00 had little worthwhile) from which they seem to have rebounded I don't agree with your assessment at all. Grunhaus kabinett and spatlese are some of the great joys of wine to my taste. I only wish they were more readily available.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 am

I find those bland, but as you know I do not care for Dönnhoff either. (With rare exceptions.)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:18 am

Fredrik L wrote:I find those bland, but as you know I do not care for Dönnhoff either. (With rare exceptions.)

I can sort of see finding kabinett and spatlese Grunhaus 'bland' (although I disagree) but then that would lead me to think that you like fleshier more obvious fruit, which is certainly Donnhoff's style.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Fredrik L wrote:You cannot buy Grünhaus blind, but you do sometimes hit the jackpot with the numbered Ausleses!

really? really?

Other than a few tough vintages in the late '90s/early '00s (and only '00 had little worthwhile) from which they seem to have rebounded I don't agree with your assessment at all. Grunhaus kabinett and spatlese are some of the great joys of wine to my taste. I only wish they were more readily available.

Indeed!

I remember it being said that the former cellar-master was past his best at that time and I think the Gault/Millau guide downgraded the estate. The last time I opened a 2001 Spätlese some 4-5 years ago it was still very sulphurous. The person through whom I acquired some vintages (others directly at the estate) even got von Schubert to agree to take back some bottles which he considered sub-standard; I can't remember if they were 2001 or 2 but I think they were Auslesen.

With that exception (and I probably opened it too young), I've never been disappointed by a Grünhaus and I have an affection at many estates for "off" vintages and "down" periods, the extent of which often tends to be much exaggerated.
Last edited by Tim York on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 pm

TIm,

I have been opening some lower level 2001s from Grunhaus, and they have started to emerge from their early funk.Otto's note is just further fuel to the fire about the underlying quality of the wines.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Delicious as it was yesterday, I managed to save a good sized glass for tonight. It has no excessive sulphur and no signs of coming from a weak period. Though perhaps I don't have enough experience with the producer. From what I've tasted of the producer, it's a bit like Musar in that I will never have enough experience with them, not even if I had a dozen livers to spare.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.