The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 09 Chamonard, Foillard and Coudert Cuvée Tardive

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 09 Chamonard, Foillard and Coudert Cuvée Tardive

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 pm

In the past I have loved all three of these for different reasons but this weekend the Coudert far outshone the others.

Previous bottles of 09 Chamonard Morgon Le Clos de Lys have showed lovely flavors but firm (and at times overpowering) structure. This weekend’s Chamonard was softer and friendlier than ever, but it also tilted closer to roasted high-octane flavors, bringing out the 09 flaws. Same story with 09 Foillard Morgon Côte du Py. I’ve had maybe half a case and always loved the 09 interpretation, but they never showed as ripe and roasty as this bottle. At times it hinted at the Foillard silk I’ve come to know and love, but in the grand scheme of things that was hard to find and the roast was dominant.

In comparison, the 09 Coudert Fleurie Cuvée Tardive took a few hours to get going but then it was rockin and rollin with sexy dark fruit, thicker than usual, but such suave and seductive textures. Rippling joy. Although you already knew that.

Also, the 2010 Foillard CdP was another perplexing bottle. I’ve had some glorious clean juicy versions and others which were plagued with strong armpit flavors (Brett? Reduction?) This weekend’s version was again plagued for at least 24 hours, although by day 2 the armpit relented enough for the silky vibrant and seductive texture to provide joy, especially when compared with the 09.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 09 Chamonard, Foillard and Coudert Cuvée Tardive

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Rahsaan wrote:In the past I have loved all three of these for different reasons but this weekend the Coudert far outshone the others.

Previous bottles of 09 Chamonard Morgon Le Clos de Lys have showed lovely flavors but firm (and at times overpowering) structure. This weekend’s Chamonard was softer and friendlier than ever, but it also tilted closer to roasted high-octane flavors, bringing out the 09 flaws. Same story with 09 Foillard Morgon Côte du Py. I’ve had maybe half a case and always loved the 09 interpretation, but they never showed as ripe and roasty as this bottle. At times it hinted at the Foillard silk I’ve come to know and love, but in the grand scheme of things that was hard to find and the roast was dominant.

What do you conclude about it's future from this? Think it could just be a dumb phase? Bob and I had a bottle of syrah last week a year ago that showed a heavy burnt toast kind of roasted flavor when no prior bottle (at least half a dozen over three-four years) hinted at even an iota of that. It had instead been a very restrained, balanced style with pretty raspberry fruit,loads of sexy white pepper and no obvious oak. We couldn't drink it, had to dump it. Last week I opened another bottle for company who love charred oak and lo and behold, the toast was gone and back was all that pretty red fruit and white pepper. Apparently, the burnt toast was a really bizarre little dumb phase. And overt ripeness (and the absence of everything else you liked about the wine) is typical of dumb phases in some American pinots.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 pm

I had an '09 Foillard in my hands a few moments ago - ready to bring out of the cellar for tonight. Perhaps I will go back and get it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Jenise wrote:What do you conclude about it's future from this? Think it could just be a dumb phase?

I don't conclude anything, in large part because I don't have enough experience!

But I will say that some people have been complaining about a roasted character to the 09 Foillard CdP from the very beginning, although I never found it in any of my previous bottles. I attributed that in part to palate interpretations, part to bottle variation (as this isn't exactly McWine and is fragile), and of course part to the aging curve/phases. So who knows.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Fair enough. But FWIW, I've had a few bottles of this too and like you did not note a roasted character. I have a few more, but the last one I opened seemed to have pulled back a bit, so I've been letting them rest for now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Sipping on the '09 Foillard now. I would not call it roasted, not at all. Dark yes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Starting a little early, aren't we Davey? Oh wait, it's Sunday: you go right ahead. 8)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Had a glass with WLDG chat.