The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Prieler "Sinner" Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

WTN: 2011 Prieler "Sinner" Chardonnay

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:06 pm

2011 Prieler "Sinner" Chardonnay, Burgenland, Austria

Slightly muted nose initially. Completely blossomed as the bottle warmed up. This is one you definitely don't want to drink too cold! It honestly gets better as it nears room temp. Golden apple, pear and toast on the nose. Ripe apple, bosc pear, and lemon meringue on the palate. Just the faintest hint of minerality. Velvet texture with meringue lingering through the long finish. 13.5% abv, stainless steel fermented, aged sur lie. Excellent value.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2011 Prieler "Sinner" Chardonnay

by Howie Hart » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:...This is one you definitely don't want to drink too cold! ...
That seems to be my experience with most Chardonnays. In fact, I consider Chardonnay to be the "reddist" of whites. Contrarily, I think of Gamay as the whitest of reds, as a bit of chilling usually helps it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I think of Gamay as the whitest of reds, as a bit of chilling usually helps it.

I know people say that, but most of the gamay I drink is definitely not in need of a chill. Like tonight's gorgeous 2009 Coudert Cuvee Tardive.

Instead, I find that things like pineau d'aunis and grignolino benefit much more from chilling, even the 'serious' versions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:33 am

Howie Hart wrote:That seems to be my experience with most Chardonnays. In fact, I consider Chardonnay to be the "reddist" of whites.

Howie, this is something I never gave any thought to until I was in a wine store, when in walked a bunch of newly arrived Japanese guys from the nearby Japanese embassy in a state of major excitement, they wanted to buy the wine that tasted like "white merlot". They'd had it in a bar or restaurant. It took a bit of detective work for the shop guys to figure out they wanted chardonnay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov