Isolate / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Isolate / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Z Spigelman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Z Spigelman wrote:Hi Harry.
Friday night - Dalton Alma Bordeaux Blend 2009 and Ella Valley Pinot Noir 2008.
Shabbat lunch - Tavor Adama Roussanne 2012 and Recanati Petite Sirah/Zinfandel Reserve 2011.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi

Hi Zvi,
Could you please describe a bit your impressions on the 08 EV Pinot, Tavor Roussanne and 11 PS/Zin?
Best,
GG

This was our second bottle of Tavor Adama Roussanne 2012. On the nose it reminded me of Sauvignon Blanc - tropical fruits especially guava but it is very light and upon tasting there was more citrus fruits and melon without the guava. A nice and different white wine. In the morning I finally had the chance to taste the Midbar Orange and Viognier (just me and the storeowner) - I found the Orange to be nothing special but the Viognier - WOW - the best one I've ever tasted.
I had originally planned to open a Gvaot Gofna Pinor Noir 2011 but the store where I tasted the Midbar had the Ella Valley Pinot Noir 2008 for a decent price. An excellent PN - full-bodied, cherries and herbs.
This was my first tasting of the Recanati Petite-Sirah/Zinfandel Reserve 2011 and really enjoyed it - medium-bodied, deep purple, chocolate/mocha, berries and almonds.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Hang on - I agree totally that Midbar makes the best Viognier in Israel, but really? You did not like the Orange wine from Midbar? Bummer :-(
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

David Raccah wrote:Hang on - I agree totally that Midbar makes the best Viognier in Israel, but really? You did not like the Orange wine from Midbar? Bummer :-(

Hi David.
I am not a big fan of white wines and have not tasted a non-Israeli Viognier, but the Midbar is one of the best whites that I have ever enjoyed.
I didn't state that I did not like the Orange - just that I expected more with all of the hype. As I am not at all familiar with Chenin Blanc, I assume that the 52% in the Orange is the cause for the letdown.
Regards from Rachel.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum