The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hansel, Pegau, Conterno, Giacosa, Tignanello, Ridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Hansel, Pegau, Conterno, Giacosa, Tignanello, Ridge

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Monthly lunch wine notes:

2008 Walter Hansel Chardonnay Russian River Cahill Vd. – great way to start. Nice chard nose with significant oak, soft and mellow in the mouth, clearly well made, with good terminal acidity. Nice.

2004 Dom. Roulot Meursault Les Luchets – much lighter touch of oak on a deftly balanced wine, very clean and crisp with nice citrus quality.

2005 La Soufrandiere (Bret Bros.) Pouilly Vinzelles Les Quarts – hints of the ocean and flowers in the nose followed by reasonably lush sweet fruit. Rich in the mouth with good balance and sweet, medium long finish.

1996 Kalin Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Reserve – nice bit of dill in an otherwise pineapple and guava nose, not your typical varietal sauv blanc, but lovely wine.

1995 Dom. de Pegau CNduP – light colour, mellow wood driven nose (though probably no wood featured in the wine) with hints of herbs and a taste of earthiness with a medium long finish. Drinking very well now – elegant – but no rush.

2005 Nicolas Joliet Fixin Clos de la Perriere – light colour with clear edges, a nice sweet nose with spicy oak elements, good midpalate fruit levels and nice crisp finish.

1995 Giacomo Conterno Barolo – some interesting spearmint notes in the nose, light colour, mature fruit, good clean entry, crisp terminal acidity. Drink now.

1998 Bruno Giacosa La Rocca del Falletto Barolo – pale colour, nice cherry and tar nose, still a lot of tannin in the mouth, but not sure the fruit will be adequate for a long haul.

1990 Tignanello – this wine is now snapping into focus for me. Perfumed nose was almost cabernet like, and some mushroom and cedar notes, supple in the mouth, long and balanced in the mouth. Best bottle of this I’ve opened (it has been a bit spotty in previous tasting including bottles from other cellars).

1996 Ridge Sonoma Station Zinfandel - this zin was getting on, but showed an interesting slightly funky, almost fishy nose that had us wondering if all was well with it. Ripe red fruit and good mouth feel. Picked up some mint in the nose with time. Decent, needs drinking.

2000 Nannetti Luca Brunello di Montalcino i Verbi – A Verbena wine, this showed good colour, a rich ripe cocoa nose with a blood component that someone aptly likened to the caramelized outside of a roast beef. Sweet entry and soft tannin. Decent showing.

1999 Brigaldara Amarone – dark, with a warm green pepper nose, good flavour intensity and concentration. Finished quite dry.

1994 Quady Starboard – the best vintage Port clone mad ein the New World, this one had a warm but not hot nose, pale colour (paler than a Port would be) quite sweet and not overly complex but pleasant.

1997 Gysler Weinheimer Holle Riesling Eiswein – Petrol nose with some herbal component, not too warm in the nose and not too sweet – maybe an auslese RS level. Clean pure Riesling, very enjoyable.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Hansel, Pegau, Conterno, Giacosa, Tignanello, Ridge

by Jenise » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Well, my darned notebook has vaporized. Therefore, from memory:

2008 Walter Hansel Chardonnay Russian River Cahill Vd. – Obviously California chardonnay. Good--I've owned other vintages of this wine in the past, but I'd fault this one for showing so much alcohol. '08 was supposedly a cooler year.

2004 Dom. Roulot Meursault Les Luchets – What you said--this was lovely. New producer for me, one I'll watch out for.

2005 La Soufrandiere (Bret Bros.) Pouilly Vinzelles Les Quarts – Very interesting in a good way. Nose couldn't have been more different from the Roulot with a very sweet flower and some marzipan.

1996 Kalin Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Reserve – My bottle. Had a different vintage a few years back that was heavier and oxidative, which I didn't care for so that made me put this bottle which I already owned on "IGNORE". Was delighted that this one wasn't oxidated at all and in fact was very fresh and bright for its age. Initial guesses were in the early-to-mid 2000's.

1995 Dom. de Pegau CNduP – What you said.

2005 Nicolas Joliet Fixin Clos de la Perriere – The spicy oak steered me away from thinking Burgundy at first, but I enjoyed the wine quite a bit.

1995 Giacomo Conterno Barolo – I recall Devin, whose wine this was, opining that he thinks this needs more time, that it was a bit repressed on the midpalate. I liked it and wouldn't have faulted it personally--although the openness of the next wine made me kind of think, "Okay, now I get what you mean."

1998 Bruno Giacosa La Rocca del Falletto Barolo – My WOTL.

1990 Tignanello – No opinion. Unfortunately, I got the worst pour of the bottle and wasn't able to appreciate this wine as much as the rest of you, or it might have been my WOTL too.

1996 Ridge Sonoma Station Zinfandel - I do believe this one was corked. Very very slightly, but I kept it nearby and it did show more definitively later on.

2000 Nannetti Luca Brunello di Montalcino i Verbi – Good description, I agree completely.

1999 Brigaldara Amarone – This wine was so dry and peppery I'd have never guessed amarone. But no matter, it was a great and interesting bottle.

1994 Quady Starboard – What you said.

1997 Gysler Weinheimer Holle Riesling Eiswein – Again, can't improve on your description. Loved this!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov