The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jancis R article; US swing towards fresher, lighter wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Jancis R article; US swing towards fresher, lighter wines?

by Tim York » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:39 am

Her today's FT article is entitled "Young Americans" http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5468ab1a-66dd ... z2Pfor9Zz4 .

I am delighted to read towards the end that there is a perceptible swing in the US away from turbocharged versions of some international grape varieties towards much fresher, lighter wines that are more expressive of individual vineyards. I have already sensed this from some posts here and elsewhere but this is the first time I have seen it stated so boldly.

On the other hand Bordeaux still seems to be veering in the opposite direction, e.g. Château Figeac's recent appointment of Michel Rolland probably intended to turbocharge the wine so as to qualify for promotion into Class A next time round.

Is it naive to hope that the Bordelais are behind the curve and will regret their continuing tack in the spoofulated direction?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Jancis R article; US swing towards fresher, lighter wines?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 am

Not a bad article at all Tim. If I was living on the east coast I would have wonderful access to wines from NY state and Virginia. I have read so much about Finger lakes but never seen a wine up here in Alberta.
I am sure a visit to California would be a revelation for me.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 am

This reads mostly like book promotion to me.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:This reads mostly like book promotion to me.

Yes, there's a bit of that. However I think that it is a useful summary of her views on the present state of American wine and its trends for those who are likely to have no intention of buying her book, i.e. the vast majority of FT readers.

I would still like to know whether people here agree with her view on the trends and on whether Bordeaux is missing a trick in going in the opposite direction.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Well I certainly think that she is on the right track. I have been seeing (and buying) wines from Wind Gap, Arnot-Roberts and others on the west coast that make much more elegant styles, and some unusual grape varieties. Wines from east coast regions are indeed improving. The Finger Lakes lead the pack, but Virginia is making great strides.
Decisions are made by those who show up