The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Easter wines and others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Easter wines and others

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am

With Betsy away Thursday dinner was leftovers and the 2007 Guion “Cuvee Prestige” Bourgeuil. I really thought this was (surprising to me) quite shut down, some red fruits trying to push through, maybe a hint of herb, but not much else. A tiny sip before using to deglaze the lamb pan was better night 2, but on night one not showing much. B-

Both the pooch and I were lonely without Betsy, so I set up a playdate for a poodle for her, and invited 3 couples for dinner Friday. Everyone contributed, so easy party to throw.
We started with the NV Pinon Vouvray Brut. Very appley (one guest on first sip asked if it was cider, not that far off from artisanal cider actually), friendly and fruitforward, yet with some yeasty complexity and a full rich mouthfeel. B+

Al brought the first course, a seafood salad (squid, shrimp, and scallop). Wine was the 2002 Remi Jobard “Les Charmes” Meursault 1er. Don’t want to jinx it, but so far 2 for 2 on this purchase. Rich, full, pear and hazelnut, no signs of decline, drinking quite well. A-/B+

Main course was a leg of lamb I had seasoned with cumin, coriander, and anchovy; I also did asparagus in miso butter while Annabelle brought a red quinoa dish with mushrooms and cauliflower. The wines

2004 Ch. Corbin (St Emilion)
Black plum fruit, some light green herb notes, moderate acids, fairly light tannins. Not especially enchanting right now, but a nice enough middleweight. B

1979 Domaine de Chevalier
Classic mature claret, tannins resolved, good acids, pretty dark fruits with plenty of cigarbox and rocky mineral notes. Yum.A-

2010 Stephane Magnien Chambolle-Musigny
I wasn’t enamored at first, quite tight, but it really opened nicely- redder fruits, smoke and floral notes, pretty and charming. B+

A quick break for a watercress salad with avocado in a soy/lime dressing, then a raspberry and chocolate dessert from Donna, and a half bottle of the 1978 Ch. Coutet from me. Orange peel/marmalade,, honey, nice flavor profile but could use a touch more acidity, this particular 375 might be a little tired. B-

Leftovers (lamb, coq au vin over egg noodles, arugula) Saturday with the 1998 La Rioja Alta “904” Rioja Gran Reserva after picking up Betsy in Newark. . Surprising. I've quite liked other bottles from this same case, while this seems tired and a bit oxidized. Loose cork? Don't think this is correct bottle, a C+

For a big Easter potluck, I made celeriac remoulade with mussels and a lentil salad, plus carried a couple of wines. Others made a nice assortment- salmon, Cuban style pork, asparagus, deviled eggs, pasta with pesto, lots of salads, cheeses, etc.

2011 Iche Les Heretiques (VdP l’Herault)
I carried this because some of the other guests had been at my Good Friday dinner, and taken exception to some of my theological comments. But no one objected to this, just a friendly Lab puppy kind of wine, maybe a bit riper than some vintages, but overall it’s the usual QPR winner- dark berry fruits, some spice (a hint me a bit of that “Russian tea” my mom made with Tang in 70s). B/B+

2008 Matrot Meursault
A bit of oak, nice full mouthfeel, decent acid balance, very popular. B+/B

2011 Box o Birds Sauvignon Blanc
Gooseberry, lime, a bit bland, but good finish. B-

2011 Pescargot
Grassy, citrus, a bit thin, I’d assume mostly SB. B-/C+

2010 Petit Chapeau Cotes du Rhone
Pretty good basic CdR, no overripe notes, round and herby, B

2011 Domane du Grand Moulin Sauvignon Blanc (Touraine)
Lighter styled, not very deep, but pleasant and correct. B-

2010 Descendientes de Palacios Petalos (Bierzo)
Nice acid balance, fruity, a touch glossy. B-

2011 Joel Gott Zinfandel
Macerated blackberries, very popular, just not with me. B-/C+

After a long day of IT hell (3of 10 hours at work WORKING, 7 hours on trying stuff and chat/call with support at ISP and web host), I was too tired to think of cooking, so when Betsy got back from teaching we grabbed a takeout pizza (mushrooms, peppers, broccoli). Wine was the 2011 Edmunds St John Bone Jolly Gamay Noir. Ah, just the remedy for a bad day. Raspberry and spice, light but with plenty of zoom, well balanced, perfect for the night and food. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Easter wines and others

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Do you have an endless supply of 1979 DdC?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I liked my first bottle of the 1998 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904, have one left and plan on buying a couple more. I hope I don't end up with a flawed bottle.

Does Betsy teach cello lessons?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:42 pm

David,
I can see the end of my supply, and I feel sad about it. I think 4 left (but I have a good supply of 78!)

JC, think this was a one-off, 2 others have been very good. Bad bottles happen. Yes, she now teaches one day a week (since she left UNC-G hadn't taught in a while)