The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Nuits-Saint-Georges Le Vaucrains, Robert Chevillon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: 1999 Nuits-Saint-Georges Le Vaucrains, Robert Chevillon

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:06 pm

Domaine Chevillon is one of the top producers in Nuits and Le Vaucrains is one of the top premiers crus in Nuits-Saint-Georges. The combination doesn't disappoint.

This wine from the 1999 vintage is coming up on fourteen years old, yet it is remarkably dark and young-looking. An aroma of raspberries, strawberries, and a touch of oak rise to greet you from the glass. The palate gives you that mix of flavors that only comes from mature pinot noir. There is a touch of extra acidity and tannins on the palate and in the finish. That, along with the color, makes me think this wine still needs more time. Then again, I had it on its own. Served with dinner, it might be perfect.

Double Curly Moe. Delightful!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1999 Nuits-Saint-Georges Le Vaucrains, Robert Chevillon

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks! I have a few of the '99. I keep looking at them, and going "not yet."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 pm

Sounds great. Nice to hit something that is at least sort of in its stride.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 pm

David,

Lucky you--having a few bottles. This was my last one. I think it'll improve with another 3-5 years in the cellar. But I don't think I'd give it more than that--right now the acidity and tannins are higher than I'd like to see, given how forward the fruit and aroma are. Drink it before Moe gets a chance to poke Curly in the eye. :wink:

It's a top-flight Burgundy by any standard, and a testament to Chevillon's skill!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Domaine Chevillon is one of the top producers in Nuits and Le Vaucrains is one of the top premiers crus in Nuits-Saint-Georges. The combination doesn't disappoint.

This wine from the 1999 vintage is coming up on fourteen years old, yet it is remarkably dark and young-looking. An aroma of raspberries, strawberries, and a touch of oak rise to greet you from the glass. The palate gives you that mix of flavors that only comes from mature pinot noir. There is a touch of extra acidity and tannins on the palate and in the finish. That, along with the color, makes me think this wine still needs more time. Then again, I had it on its own. Served with dinner, it might be perfect.

Double Curly Moe. Delightful!

High praise indeed, Paul! :D On a semi-serious note, thanks for this. I have a few bottles of the '99 Chevillon Perrieres that I've been holding on to. It sounds like it might be time to dip my toes into the water.

Mark Lipton