The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 Brun Brouilly, '02 Cline Zin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '04 Brun Brouilly, '02 Cline Zin

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:13 pm

I've liked Jean Paul Brun's 2004 L'Ancien and Fleurie, and the buzz on both has grown, but I haven't heard a peep yet re the Cote de Brouilly. Time to take one for the team. Upon uncorking, the 2004 Brun (Terres Dorres) Cote-de-Brouilly comes across as a bit light. Pleasant though, crisp and grapey. But as evening progresses this puts on weight in the glass. What starts off as a bit slight deepens into a beautiful Beaujolais, with black cherry and raspberry fruit over some stony minerality. There's structure to let this last a while, but damn it's good now. Time to get more of this. B+/A-

I spoke at a Lenten supper last night, then headed home for a late supper of my own. Betsy made a great brisket recipe with onions and raisins, sides of potato salad and broccolli. Wine was the 2002 Cline Zinfandel (California). Sweet ripe red berry fruit, a little toasty oak/vanilla note. A perfectly acceptable wine for under $10, but I think the '99 Cline CA Zin has saddled me with unreasonably high expections for this bottling. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: TN: '04 Brun Brouilly, '02 Cline Zin

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:58 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I've liked Jean Paul Brun's 2004 L'Ancien and Fleurie, and the buzz on both has grown, but I haven't heard a peep yet re the Cote de Brouilly. Time to take one for the team. Upon uncorking, the 2004 Brun (Terres Dorres) Cote-de-Brouilly comes across as a bit light. Pleasant though, crisp and grapey. But as evening progresses this puts on weight in the glass. What starts off as a bit slight deepens into a beautiful Beaujolais, with black cherry and raspberry fruit over some stony minerality. There's structure to let this last a while, but damn it's good now. Time to get more of this. B+/A- 

Dale,
When I bought this, David Lille described it as 'pure.' But I find it a bit stemmy and not as fleshy as either the Fleurie or the L'Ancien. Maybe I haven't left it open long enough, although I have tried the full evening time period and not gotten quite the result you did.
In any event, I have decided to cellar my remaining bottles for a couple years.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Pre-thread Message

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Jim,
I'm certainly not the expert on Beaujolais that you are, so maybe I misread this. But the only time I maybe thought it was a bit stemmy was an hour or so after opening, when there seemed to be a light bitter note to the finish. But that passed and really from hour two till hour four it was lovely. Sure it would hold, but I loved as it was. I'm getting more, what more can I say? :)

I should maybe note that it was opened at cellar temp (low 50sF) and warmed very gradually- it was probably 60-62 F in house (I had doors open to enjoy spring evening).
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Pre-thread Message

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jim,
I'm certainly not the expert on Beaujolais that you are, so maybe I misread this. But the only time I maybe thought it was a bit stemmy was an hour or so after opening, when there seemed to be a light bitter note to the finish. But that passed and really from hour two till hour four it was lovely. Sure it would hold, but I loved as it was. I'm getting more, what more can I say? :)

I should maybe note that it was opened at cellar temp (low 50sF) and warmed very gradually- it was probably 60-62 F in house (I had doors open to enjoy spring evening).

Same conditions for mine.
Maybe you and David 'get' this one better than I.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars