The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Garrigue?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Garrigue?

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Just read a review of an American syrah that said it had garrigue in the nose.

Seems rather inappropriate given that it was made about 6,000 miles away from any garrigue.

What next, will American sangiovese evoke the scents of the Tuscan hills at dawn? Or will a Chateauneuf bring to mind sagebrush on the lone prairie?

Some reviewers need to have their gazeteers shoved up their fundaments, IMHO.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: Garrigue?

by Ryan M » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:43 pm

It's just a descriptor they have chosen to decribe the wine and to evoke the experience of drinking it. What's the problem with that? In this particular case, the baseline for Syrah is the French versions, and so it seems only natural that one would use those sorts of descriptors. Unless you think wine descriptors should be controlled by the AOC or other appellation authority.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Descriptions can be based on what we know and remember. So be it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Garrique is not a single plant, though, right, it's a collection of low-growing plants and dirt indigenous to the coastal areas of southern France that could include such things as rosemary, sage and thyme? As someone who grew up in a hilly area of Southern California next to miles of undeveloped land, I can attest to there being a very similar collection of herbal aromas on warm summer days. I noted the similarity the first time I visited Provence.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:56 pm

What the others said. If we want to snob on them, let's do it over dropping the "s" from "garrigues," but as others have said, rosemary and thyme are international, and it's not really wrong to use metaphors from the regions that gave us Syrah. Spelling it wrong, though, is like substituting Gallo "Sauterne" for the Chateau d'Yquem in your glass. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Some curmudgeons need to have drink...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What the others said. If we want to snob on them, let's do it over dropping the "s" from "garrigues," but as others have said, rosemary and thyme are international, and it's not really wrong to use metaphors from the regions that gave us Syrah. Spelling it wrong, though, is like substituting Gallo "Sauterne" for the Chateau d'Yquem in your glass. :mrgreen:

Actually, Robin, it is correct without the 'S'. It isn't the plural of one garrigue, it means as Jenise implied, the Mediterranean scrubland. It isn't referring to a type of plant in the plural, it is referring to a type of area/terrain. When we say that we can smell garrigue in wine it is the equivalent of saying that you can smell the forest in your deodorant spray.

It therefor refers to a specific area, not specific plants, although to be generous I suppose one could accept Jenise's description of them meaning that the smells were of the type they thought might be found in that area of France (as I doubt many had personally experienced it).

I suppose one should get more exercised over the other florid bombastic adjectives used by reviewers such as RP.

Or I may just take Davi'd suggestion and pop a cork and forget about language niceties in the barbaric world of wine criticism. As it happens I have a Californian Syrah sitting to chambrée - I'll try to remember to liken it to garrigue in a note..... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:00 pm

It looks like Garrigue refers specifically to calcareous (limestone, base-rich) soils, and in acid soils the term is Maquis. In California there is Chaparral, with similar connotations as regards resinous, aromatics scrub. In parts of California, mainly Central Coas,t there is also limestone; in much of CA the soils are acid, including much terrain of volcanic origin. Plenty of room for confusion, and easy generalization leading to more confusion.
Last edited by SteveEdmunds on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:It looks like Garrigue refers specifically to calcareous (limestone, base-rich) soils, and in acid soils the term is Maquis. In California there is Chaparral, with similar connotations as regards resinous, aromatics scrub. In parts of California, mainly Central Coast there is also limestone; in much of it the soils are acid, including much terrain of volcanic origin. Plenty of room for confusion, and easy generalization leading to more confusion.

Whoa!
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:26 pm

I think that more likely at the root of this is that in the US there is some confusion over the meaning of garrigue, and some have taken it to mean the meaty, gamey aromas of low-level Brett infections so common in the S. Rhone. I have read many people's descriptions of wines I know that include the garrigue descriptor, and most often what I can get from them is what I described above. I think that if more people who used that term had driven through the wilds of Provence in the heat of summer, there'd be a lot less confusion over the term. Steve's relating it to the chapparal of N. and Central CA is also very apt, with lots of rosemary and sage present in both.

Mark Lipton
(still struggling to grok what "melted licorice" smells like)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:35 am

Tasting notes of southern french red wines often include the intriguing descriptor 'garrigue'. So, what is it exactly? Garrigue is the name given to the Mediterranean scrubland which is made up of low growing, bushy plants including holm oak, juniper, broom and wild herbs such as rosemary and thyme. In Provence it also includes lavender although I have never seen this in the wild in the Languedoc.

Walking amongst the garrigue on a warm day, crushing herbs underfoot, releases a fabulous aroma of warm thyme and rosemary. When used to describe a wine, garrigue refers to these green herby aromas. It can also be used to describe flavours too although I find it more evocative as a descriptor for aroma

Good point about the animal bretty smells - this is not what is meant by garrigue, but many seem to think it is. Once you've been there and walked over the ground you'll never be unsure again.