The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How to publish TN's from Cellar Tracker here?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

How to publish TN's from Cellar Tracker here?

by Jenise » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Many of you do it, so I'm asking here. I can't seem to work it out.

What I did: left myself logged in on WLDG, went to Cellar Tracker. The tasting notes are posted, so I checked each of the notes that applies to the post I wish to make and clicked on Publish. There I leave the top boxes pre-checked, and selected the UBBCode option which looks to my untechnical eye like the logical choice since this site isn't named nor would HTML apply, I don't think. However, when I do that I'm still stuck in Step Two. I don't get a button that allows me to save my selection or advance to the final Step Three. Should I be selecting HTML instead?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: How to publish TN's from Cellar Tracker here?

by JC (NC) » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:02 pm

If you don't get a response here, try contacting Eric Levine directly and I'm sure he could help. I checked his tips for switching from CellarTracker in the classic mode but I don't see the answer there.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:25 pm

We've tried in the past (we being me, Eric and Robin), and cannot get it to work. I just create the notes as if I want to post to Berserkers and then do a copy & past job for here. Same code, so bold, italics, etc all work.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Dear Jenise,
I can follow all the steps you are listing. On the far bottom right corner
of the screen there is a big, dark red button that says "Continue to Step
3" and when I click that I get the UBB markup code. Is your browser window
wide enough? Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 pm

wnissen wrote:Dear Jenise,
I can follow all the steps you are listing. On the far bottom right corner
of the screen there is a big, dark red button that says "Continue to Step
3" and when I click that I get the UBB markup code. Is your browser window
wide enough? Walt

There is no such button on the far bottom right coerner of my screen. Maybe my browser window isn't wide enough--or maybe it was, but isn't now. Today I noticed that something had changed since last time I was on it, that some of the headings and commands were printed over each other on the main screen and it hadn't been that way before. I even left CellarTracker and returned hoping that it would clear, but it didn't.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:We've tried in the past (we being me, Eric and Robin), and cannot get it to work. I just create the notes as if I want to post to Berserkers and then do a copy & past job for here. Same code, so bold, italics, etc all work.

You're kidding. So those notes I've seen in the past by others didn't come from Cellar Tracker even though the notation at the bottom attributes it as the source? Or did it used to work, but something changed?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 pm

If you copy and paste all of the text you get the posted from CellarTracker attribution.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 am

Is your browser window
wide enough?

When I was having huge problems with the new set up, I too discovered that part of the right hand side was missing..so my window was not wide enough. Lord knows what it is like now `cos I gave up!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 am

JC (NC) wrote:If you don't get a response here, try contacting Eric Levine directly and I'm sure he could help. I checked his tips for switching from CellarTracker in the classic mode but I don't see the answer there.

This isn't a switching problem; I was never on the original version.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:55 am

Jenise-
Back when I was still doing public notes, I never could get notes uploaded from CT...just gave up and did cut and paste as David suggested.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 am

You can post notes directly from CT into 'Directly Integrated Partner Sites' as long as you are logged into them.

But - for what ever reason - WLDG doesn't appear on the list of 'Directly Integrated Partner Sites' so you need to scroll down and select

Generate Markup for Other Sites
UBBCode™ Markup
Many bulletin boards, especially those based on UBB products from InfoPop, support a simple, HTML-like language for doing basic formatting.
(NOTE: Markup generated by this site must then be copied and pasted into a reply on another UBBCode™ enabled bulletin board.)

Then click PUBLISH NOTES
then you see
Copy and paste this UBB code for a nicely formatted post or reply on any UBB-enabled bulletin board and voila
  • 2002 L'Avenir Cabernet Sauvignon - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (5/29/2012)
    At peak of perfection, beautiful sweet fruit, delicate balance, long finish. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Note - this was done on the 'classic' CT - I don't use the new look one.

UPDATE: OK, just gone to the new CT and its exactly the same there EXCEPT that when you select the option to post UBB code you get a POP_UP box with the code in it for you to copy and paste. If you're not allowing pop-ups I guess you won't see it....
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:56 am

Just using the Wine Berserkers mock up gets you the same thing because the boards are on the same software platform.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 am

Jenise wrote:Or did it used to work, but something changed?

As I recall it, when we changed to the current version of PhpBBS software for this forum, the PhpBBS security blocks - intended to keep hackers from being able to manipulate forum posts from outside the forum - had the unfortunate side effect of making it impossible for posts placed on other forums (like Cellar Tracker) to be mirrored here, and Eric wasn't able to find a way around it. At least that's the way I remember it. Eric gave it a serious try, but he was going up against a system intended to keep Russian and Chinese hackers at bay, so it was pretty seriously bulletproof. (I don't know why it works on Berserkers ... maybe they don't use the same forum software as we do? I know Eric worked hard, and only regretfully abandoned the effort.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 am

Robin - your memory is correct.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Just using the Wine Berserkers mock up gets you the same thing because the boards are on the same software platform.

That is how I have done so.. but Robin might consider asking Eric to include a direct link to WLDG to facilitate the sharing of notes...

Oooops.. didn't see Robin's comment above... I can't see why copying the WB format and pasting isn't a problem, but having a direct link would be... but what do I know...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 pm

James Dietz wrote:Oooops.. didn't see Robin's comment above... I can't see why copying the WB format and pasting isn't a problem, but having a direct link would be... but what do I know...

I had a hard time understanding it when it happened. :lol: It was basically a decision by the PhpBB developers focused on one overriding issue: Preventing people outside the forum from being able to manipulate posts inside the forum. Cellar Tracker does it benignly; Chinese hackers, not so much.

Now, you might ask, "doesn't having a secure password system that requires login to post pretty much cover that?" But the deal with open-source software is that when the community decides to tighten down security another notch, you either accept it, or we go through all the trauma of changing forum software again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Okay, thanks everyone, I know what to do now. If I can get to third base, that is. :)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, thanks everyone, I know what to do now. If I can get to third base, that is. :)

I was always satisfied just getting to second. But that's me.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:22 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Jenise wrote:Okay, thanks everyone, I know what to do now. If I can get to third base, that is. :)

I can't even get to first. I just retype it all.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 pm

James Dietz wrote:

I have about 14 responses to this, but none are printable. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 pm

It worked! Took about one minute. Even got pix, how cool.

p.s. I shut down my computer overnight (don't usually/always) hoping to clear up whatever was farkling the view on CellarTracker. Indeed that worked, no more overlapping headings and the button to Step Three showed up. ;)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Jenise wrote:
James Dietz wrote:

I have about 14 responses to this, but none are printable. :)

"He's out...no wait...safe..safe at second base."