cALLING / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: cALLING / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Isaac C » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I had the Yarden Merlot Ortal 2004 and the Tzuba Cabernet 2007. When I opened the Ortal it had that stewed fruit smell and had very strong notes of raising and dates (as Jon and David said it would) but to be honest, as the wine opened up over the night and the next morning, the wine changed a lot. The nose stayed the same mostly, but the mouth was much more balanced, with notes of dark berries and wood, and a nice long finish. Overall, not as good as it was previously, it definitely declined, but still a very enjoyable wine. The Tzuba was nice, but I didn't get to have that much of it.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Some interesting wines - the yarden Cab was the winner, but the eye opening wine was the Gush Blessed Valley red - which is clearly not as good as it was in Israel, at the winery. I bought the wine from the distributor here in California and brought it to the hosts - so not a storage problem on my side. Wonder what otehrs have found with the wine here...

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/03/18 ... nd-yarden/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 am

Harvey L wrote:Friday night - 2003 Ellay Valley Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Not surprisingly, starting to brown around the edges but otherwise still holding lovely color. Musty, earthy nose that let's you know without a doubt that you are about to partake of a 100% varietal CS. Wonderfully smooth tannins, fruit is still quite evident. Very pleasant finish that lingers on the palate. I'm not sure if the 2003 can be found anywhere these days; I feared it was possibly getting a bit long in tooth so I decided to open it now. Reminds me of how Ella Valley in many ways still kind of flies below many people's radars.

Shabbos lunch - alas, no wine(s) to report. Our in shul after-davening kiddush gathering featured a bevvy of smoked fishes, sliced hard salami and chopped liver -- both smoothly pureed and chunky. Accompanied with 2 or 3 or more single-malts, when I got home I was content to have another dram or two with my meal. Also, my wife and I were the only over 21s at the lunch table and I didn't want to leave a half (ok, quarter) full bottle lingering.

Probably going to Skyview later today to do my Pesach shopping. Still unsure what to buy/drink at the Seders. I want something simple but dry for most of my guests (red and non-mevushal) and something a bit better for me, my wife and any others who will appreciate the difference. Unlike many here, I am a strong believer in not using a top-drawer, expensive wine for the 4 kosos as IMHO such wines are meant to be food wines. I just don't enjoy them essentially straight-up and out of a silver becher.

Harvey:
1. Who says you have to use a silver becher? A few years back, someone here suggested the Riedel Spirit of O and I've been using it ever since. Haven't looked back at my silver becher!
2. What better time to drink your very best wines than at the seder?
3. I agree that a big, bold cab won't work too well, but there are plenty of wines out there that can be enjoyed on their own. A good pinot. Anything from Ella Valley. Carmel Mediterranean. The list goes on...

Personally, I was determined to use the love of my life--the 2011 Flam Rose for at least some of the cups, but alas it's not what it was a few months ago and the 2012 is a HUGE disappointment. I've been enjoying the 2011 Recanati rose for kiddush but it's not quite on the level I'd want for the seder. I did just take delivery of lots of Four Gates and I've made a habit of using them for the 4 cups, so I look forward!
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 am

David Raccah wrote:Hey Isaac - all of the 1848 wines were way over the top for me, filled with dried fruits, dates, raisin and the such. Some folks do not care and others like it, I do not like in your face new world/fruit bomb wines. Again, my opinion :-(

David

The CF isn't bad and the reserve (not special reserve) is palatable. Otherwise, I agree 100%.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 am

Mazal tov Pinchas! I also like the Carte D'Or better than the Carte Blanche. Only the Yarden BdB gives it a run for its money.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 am

Quiet shabos with enjoyable wines but nothing new:
2008 Willm Riesling A-/*** My second to last bottle and Kosher Kingdom is all out :(
2011 Recanati Rose B+/***
2007 Ella Valley Syrah A-/***
KD Sherry B/* The more I drink the sherry, the less I like it. The raspberry on the nose is overwhelming and artificial. The mouth is out of whack. Going forward, I'll stick to the incredible 8 year K'Port.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Great note for the past week Harry.

I ate out both meals and was requested to bring candy instead of wine (what a mistake). I sampled a cab Jeunesse (however it is spelled) after kiddush and I cannot remember if I have had it before but it is NOT for me. So for after Shabbos I opened a Tzuba Merlot 2007. It was quite nice and very friendly. I thought it had a nice nose of spice, ripe fruit, and a slight oakiness. the taste had good tannins and a nice toast-ee+dark fruit-ee vibe. It feels like it has some life left but not sure for how much longer, does anyone know if Tzuba Merlot 07s will last much longer?

Thanks and happy Wednesday to all!
Moshe
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Harry J » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Moshe; I also enjoyed the merlot about a month ago. As for as how long as another thread attests even the critic/experts are often off in the window predictions,case in hand. Butas a novice would venture probably only several months longer. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Josh Kramer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Ive been drinking some of those 07 Merlot and CS from Tzuba - they are drinking fairly well, but do feel like they don't have much left. Metzuda '07 is great though right now.
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum