The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

High-alcohol whites irritate me. :P

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: High-alcohol whites irritate me. :P

by Sam Platt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 am

David Bueker wrote:Some of the 2006s from Austria handle their 14%+ alcohol well. Some don't.

I will seek one out and give it a try. My high alcohol Riesling thought experiment does make it seem quite unappealing, however.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

David Lole wrote:Maybe they have woken up to what 14 -15+% whites & reds do in the bottle with some bottle age?

Remember basically dumping a glass of expensive Napa Valley (Calistoga) cab and giving the remainder of the bottle to a Scotch drinker. Nothing left after five years but alcohol and tannins.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Rahsaan wrote:It was a Pfalz weekend here in Manhattan. Friday was the 2011 Bergdolt Kirrweiler Mandelberg Weissburgunder GG and yesterday was the 2010 Bergdolt Duttweiler Kalkberg Spatburgunder GG. I'm guessing each would show more with age but I've had two bottles of each over the past month and they are both intriguing wines that I would be happy to explore in more detail/over the years.

Completely off-topic question, Rahsaan, but did you have to refer to notes to write this post or can you rattle off these polysyllabic German wine names from memory? :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:can you rattle off these polysyllabic German wine names from memory? :mrgreen:

Notes. But mainly because I don't drink many wines from the Pfalz and no others from these vineyards/villages. Once you start drinking the wines you become a lot more familiar with the regular names.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:can you rattle off these polysyllabic German wine names from memory? :mrgreen:

Notes. But mainly because I don't drink many wines from the Pfalz and no others from these vineyards/villages. Once you start drinking the wines you become a lot more familiar with the regular names.

And really, those sites aren't really all that famous and wouldn't even be considered for GG without ownership by Bergdolt. But it is remarkable what Bergdolt makes of them. They are absolutely one of the greatest producers that no one outside of Germany has heard of -other than Rahsaan of course!

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
Previous