The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Havens Bouriquot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 2003 Havens Bouriquot

by Jim Grow » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 pm

This wine is 67% Cab. Franc and the rest Merlot. After waiting a long time this wine is finally coming together. The slight orange bricking at the edge lead into black fruit flavors mixing with a slight herbal note are still needing just a bit of time to fully resolve but are well on their way. Glad I have most of a case left but never expected this wine to evolve so slowly.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2003 Havens Bouriquot

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Darn, I miss this winery. A plonk producer has now purchased the name and the label, but their wines have nothing to do with the Havens "tradition".
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 am

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Darn, I miss this winery. A plonk producer has now purchased the name and the label, but their wines have nothing to do with the Havens "tradition".

Really? Saw an advertisement the other day and wondered.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Michael Havens sold the wine a few years back and the people ran it into the ground quickly. In fact Michael and his charming wife Kathyrn were here for dinner last Saturday night. Actually Steve Edmunds and Doug Fletcher and their wifes were here that night also. Oh and I don't want to forget Alan Bree and his charming wife also were present. Doug Fletcher is in charge of wine making for the wineries that belong to Terlato. People will remember he was the winemaker at Chimney Rock and his wife Janet writes a column on cheeses for the SF Chronicle every Sunday. Janet by the way originally was a chef at Chez Panisse before she became one of the well known writers concerning cheeses from all over the world. I will admit to listening and not doing much talking when surrounded by so much knowledge that is incorporated in certain people. It's nice to know very likable people who are so talented.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey, Lou:

I heard (maybe this is another factor, not opposed to your comment) that the company which bought it was primarily a New York importer who lost their reason for being, the importing of Catena Wines, to Southern Wine and Spirits and just shut everything down, including Havens.

Jenise: The new "Havens" has absolutely nothing to do with the old winery. It's just a label.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach