Reverse Pairing?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Reverse Pairing?

Postby Howie Hart » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:54 am

There are many wine pairing charts and recommendations available, and they all seem to focus on a food item and then list wines that could be paired with the food. But what about going in the opposite direction? What if you have a wine and would like to have the food complement the wine? This actually can make sense, as often the bottle of wine on the table is more costly that everything else on the table combined. Granted, some wines are versatile, such as Riesling, Pinot Noir or Bubbly, but what about Lemberger (Blaufrankisch)? Gewurtztraminer? Pinot Gris? Sauvignon Blanc? Grenache? Zinfandel? to name a few.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Re: Reverse Pairing?

Postby Rahsaan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 am

Howie Hart wrote:what about Lemberger (Blaufrankisch)? Gewurtztraminer? Pinot Gris? Sauvignon Blanc? Grenache? Zinfandel? to name a few.

I think many people around here probably do this 'reverse pairing' because so many of us carefully plot out the wines we want to drink.

But, I don't think it's a matter of just the basic grape, you'd probably at least have to get down to the region. Lots of differences between Alsatian Pinot Gris and Pfalz Grauburgunder or Italian Pinot Grigio.

That said, the one standard idea is that I'll sometimes add black olives to a syrah dish, just to play off those notes in the wine.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy

Postby Tom Troiano » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 am

Howie,

I do what you call reverse pairing all the time and I think its very common.
Tom T.
Tom Troiano
Wine guru

Postby Howie Hart » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Howie,
I do what you call reverse pairing all the time and I think its very common.
I do too, but I've never seen a chart or collection of suggested reverse pairings. Back labels often have suggestions, but.... Two of my favorite, fun pairings are boiled lobster with Vouvray and recently I discovered Beef Stroganoff with Gewrutztraminer. However, these were not reverse paired - the dish came first and the wine was selected to match. So, for instance, is there a dish that would pair better with Lemberger than it would with, say, Pinot Noir or Cab Franc? I'm thinking veal, perhaps.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby James Roscoe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 am

Eat local, ie eat what the locals eat where the wine is made, at least in Europe.
Last edited by James Roscoe on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Brian Gilp » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:59 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Eat local, ie eat what the local eat where the wine is made, at least in Europe.

This is where I start. I may branch off from here but only after paying attention to what makes the food of a region. Then I can carry those elements into another dish that will probably match well.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru

Postby Peter May » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't choose food in a restaurant until I have seen the wine list.
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Steve Slatcher » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Hugh Johson's Pocket Book does reverse, and forwards, pairing.
Steve Slatcher
Wine guru

Postby Howie Hart » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks Steve.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Jon Peterson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I recommend What to Drink With What You Eat (2006 Bulfinch Press) by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. First half of this 350 page book is the traditional what to drink with what you are going to eat. The second have is what to eat with what you are going to drink. Full retail is $35 but I'm sure you can get it for less.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Steve Slatcher » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 am

Howie Hart wrote:Thanks Steve.

But there is only one page with reverse matches, so you proabably would not want to buy the book for that.
Steve Slatcher
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum