WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby TomHill » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Tried this last night:
1. EdmundsStJohn Syrah BassettiVnyd/SLOCnty (13.7%) Intuition & BlandLuck 2001: Very dark/near black color w/ slight bricking; very strong blackberry/Syrah/peppery/cracked black pepper/cold-climate slight funky/brett/sweaty leather quite spicy slight Rhonish/floral/olive tapenade fairly complex nose; quite tart strong blackberry/Syrah/cracked black pepper/cold-climate slight bretty/barnyardy/horsecollar some complex flavor w/ smooth/polished tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/Syrah/peppery some bretty/barnyardy/horsecollar bit Rhonish/black olive complex finish w/ smooth/resolved tannins; the brett/unclean is evident but not strong enough to distract and the cold-climate Syrah fruit dominates; a really lovely slightly Rhonish cold-climate Syrah that's probably near or beyond its peak.
_________________
No BP in me today.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3197
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Only one of these left in the cellar, and I keep putting it back. Maybe, maybe...
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 21977
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby Lou Kessler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Don't ordinarily do it but I put a case of this wine in my cellar when it was released. Tom is right, it's there IMHO. Been drinking them on a regular basis the last couple of years. Down to one or two left in the case. :( I'll miss them but I have a case of the 05 Bassetti to look forward to drinking. :D
Lou Kessler
Doesn't buy green bananas
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:20 pm

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby Steve Edmunds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:07 am

Jeez, Tom: Intuition and Bland Luck? My neighborhood has really gone downhill... :roll:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
Steve Edmunds
Wine guru
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 am

Steve Edmunds wrote:Jeez, Tom: Intuition and Bland Luck? My neighborhood has really gone downhill... :roll:


Steve - he's just typing blind with a southern accent.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User avatar
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru
 
Posts: 21977
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby Dale Williams » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 am

I had my penultimate 01 Bassetti in May, thought it showed great. But probably will hold last one for a few more, just out of curiosity.
User avatar
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur
 
Posts: 7850
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Sorry...

Postby TomHill » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Jeez, Tom: Intuition and Bland Luck? My neighborhood has really gone downhill... :roll:


Sorry, Steve....sometimes my mind is racing ahead of my fingers!!
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3197
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby Sam Platt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 pm

We opened our last 2001 Bassetti and our first 2005 Bassetti over the Christmas holiday.

The '01 model showed lots of very nice berry and spice Syrah notes once the funk blew off. The funk definitely was overwhelming at first and did not blow off easily. I sampled it in the decanter and it finally started to smooth out after about 4 hours. Unfortunately, that was well after dinner was finished.

The '05 Bassetti is a tannic beast at present. It is tightly closed and does not a thing except suck the moisture from your tongue. Extended time in the decanter didn't do much to help. I am a bit concerned that there is no real fruit evident under the tannins. I won't touch another bottle for at least 5 years though I'm thinking that 10+ years maybe required for the tannins to start to resolve. Fortunately I have three more bottles to track over time.

Bottom line - decant your Bassetti for an extended period.
Sam

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are a small
matter compared to what lies within us" -Emerson
Sam Platt
I am Sam, Sam I am
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Yup...Perhaps...

Postby TomHill » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Sam Platt wrote:We opened our last 2001 Bassetti and our first 2005 Bassetti over the Christmas holiday.
The '01 model showed lots of very nice berry and spice Syrah notes once the funk blew off. The funk definitely was overwhelming at first and did not blow off easily. I sampled it in the decanter and it finally started to smooth out after about 4 hours. Unfortunately, that was well after dinner was finished.
The '05 Bassetti is a tannic beast at present. It is tightly closed and does not a thing except suck the moisture from your tongue. Extended time in the decanter didn't do much to help. I am a bit concerned that there is no real fruit evident under the tannins. I won't touch another bottle for at least 5 years though I'm thinking that 10+ years maybe required for the tannins to start to resolve. Fortunately I have three more bottles to track over time.
Bottom line - decant your Bassetti for an extended period.


My btl stood on the counter, stoppered, overnight. Tried it the next afternoon. All the bretty/horsecollar/funk
had blown off and it was clean as a whistle...buut the fruit was also greatly diminished and it was
just a refined/gentle little ole lady.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3197
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby Sam Platt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Tom,

Sounds like you gave your bottle plenty of time with some air. The fruit this '01 Bassetti was a bit more lively than what you describe. I know that I gave my first two bottles some time in air but I do not remember them being quite as funky out of the bottle as this one was. I did not pickup any significant brett on the '05.
Sam

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are a small
matter compared to what lies within us" -Emerson
Sam Platt
I am Sam, Sam I am
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '01..(short/boring)

Postby Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Don't ordinarily do it but I put a case of this wine in my cellar when it was released. Tom is right, it's there IMHO. Been drinking them on a regular basis the last couple of years. Down to one or two left in the case. :( I'll miss them but I have a case of the 05 Bassetti to look forward to drinking. :D


Lou, have you tried the 05 Bassetti lately. I got case of this wine on release (or thereabouts) and haven't tried one yet. Around the time I bought them I had an opportunity to speak with Steve, and he told me that the 05 was a 20, maybe a 30 year wine. We are now only 7+ years out from the vintage and I don't buy much wine anymore, and would dearly hate to kill one too soon. Of the case I bought I shared half with some friends so I don't have them all. (Call me a hoarder?)
Bob Henrick
User avatar
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.


Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron