The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare LateHrvst '10..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Zin Jimsomare LateHrvst '10..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:50 am

Tried this Sat night w/ friends:
1. Ridge Zin Jimsomare/SantaCruzMtns LateHrvst (100% Zin; 16.2%; 7 1/2 brls; Bttld: 4/12; SaH: 29.4%;
RS: 1.7%; Drk: 1/12-1/24-1/27: EB) 2010
: Very dark/near black color; very intense boysenberry/blackberry/Zin/jammy light Am.oak very intense Zin fruit nose; fairly tart bit alcoholic/hot very intense boysenberry/blackberry/Zin/framboise/jammy light Am.oak slight earthy/floral/lilacs slightly sweet huge fruit flavor; very long/lingering some acid/tangy rather sweet huge fruit/boysenberry/blackberry/Zin/jammy light Am.oak finish w/ maybe some tannins in there; more like Dusi Zin than SCM/Jimsomare; well-priced at $33.00
1. This was a recent release to the Z-list members (Spring shipment scheduled for March 18). This wine, at this point in time, is all about huge boysenberry/jammy Zin fruit and not much else is there right now. None of the earthy/mineral character you expect in a SCM Zin. It reminds me some of the old DusiRannch Zin Essence, though not quite as sweet. It has a tangy acidity to it that suggests it might age well. It has such huge fruit that I couldn't tell if there was any tannins or structure underneath. But it was definitely not soft/flabby that you'd expect at 29.4 Brix. It's a really great drink right now w/ blue cheeses.
I guess the jury is still out on how this wine will evolve. I can see it dropping a lot of fruit and the raisen/pruney character coming to the forefront and the alcohol starting to dominate. There is just sooo much fruit in there that it's hard to see any of the other/interesting stuff. Eric predicts that it'll go out to 2027...which seems a bit optimistic to me. But if you'd have to choose between TomHill or EricBaugher for guidance...I'd go w/ the winemaker. After all...whatta I know..only followed Ridge from the very start!!! :-)
Tom