The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gold Medal value?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

Gold Medal value?

by Gary Kahle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:55 am

I opened a bottle of wine for dinner last night and noticed it had a sticker for winning a Gold Medal at some wine competition. I bought this wine after tasting at a winery tasting room and didn’t even notice the sticker. I know a lot of wineries take pride in these awards. My question is; are you influenced by them ?
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Gold Medal value?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 am

Not at all. it`s all a load of baloney! It is the same with those useless bottle neck tabs.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 am

Not generally but if a winery has a wine that has won gold at multiple events and it includes one of the few competitions that I know is respectable then I will take notice.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Gary,
I tend to agree with Brian. Basically all the medal means is that a particular bottle of that wine was awarded recognition or a medal at a particular time If a wine (or winemaker) consistently receives recognition at multiply and “respectable” competitions sometimes its worth taking an interest. (The winemakers doing something right).

Salute
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Not really. Everybody else's idea of good isn't neccessarily mine. But I'm sometimes more curious if it's a competition that has a good reputation and, big AND here, if the medal's double gold which means that every judge on that panel voted 'Gold'. Having been on those panels myself, I know that's not easily achieved.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:52 pm

It all depends on where the medal was earned. Some competitions are run much more conscientiously than others.
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 pm

It sounds like many are saying it depends on ‘which’ competition. So, how would I know which were the good ones? And then, what makes someone qualified to be a judge? How about hearing from some judges.
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: Gold Medal value

by Brian Gilp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 pm

I am familiar with a few back from when I worked at a Midwest winery and some from folks that have participated as judges. Problem is that things change and what was a good competition back in the 1990s may not be now and what was a poor show back then may have improved. The better competitions have web pages where you can look up the judges and all the medal winners which makes it a lot easier to determine the quality.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Like most replies the vast majority of those medals that I have seen or purchased meant nothing with one notable exception. Peachy Canyon Zin from the Paso Robles area in California has had many state medals attributed to specific wines and vintages. I purchased those and was pleasantly surprised that the winners proved to be just that, very good zins IMHO. :D
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am

The value of the medal depends on who is issuing them and how many enter.

Some competitions Gold is the highest, others it is topped by double golds, platinums, trophys and etc. Some comps seem to offer a medal just for entering.