Gold Medal value?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Gold Medal value?

Postby Gary Kahle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 am

I opened a bottle of wine for dinner last night and noticed it had a sticker for winning a Gold Medal at some wine competition. I bought this wine after tasting at a winery tasting room and didn’t even notice the sticker. I know a lot of wineries take pride in these awards. My question is; are you influenced by them ?
Cheers, Gary
Gary Kahle
Wine geek

Re: Gold Medal value?

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Not at all. it`s all a load of baloney! It is the same with those useless bottle neck tabs.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Brian Gilp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Not generally but if a winery has a wine that has won gold at multiple events and it includes one of the few competitions that I know is respectable then I will take notice.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru

Postby Victorwine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi Gary,
I tend to agree with Brian. Basically all the medal means is that a particular bottle of that wine was awarded recognition or a medal at a particular time If a wine (or winemaker) consistently receives recognition at multiply and “respectable” competitions sometimes its worth taking an interest. (The winemakers doing something right).

Salute
Victorwine
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Not really. Everybody else's idea of good isn't neccessarily mine. But I'm sometimes more curious if it's a competition that has a good reputation and, big AND here, if the medal's double gold which means that every judge on that panel voted 'Gold'. Having been on those panels myself, I know that's not easily achieved.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Carl Eppig » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:52 pm

It all depends on where the medal was earned. Some competitions are run much more conscientiously than others.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Gary Kahle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 pm

It sounds like many are saying it depends on ‘which’ competition. So, how would I know which were the good ones? And then, what makes someone qualified to be a judge? How about hearing from some judges.
Cheers, Gary
Gary Kahle
Wine geek

Re: Gold Medal value

Postby Brian Gilp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I am familiar with a few back from when I worked at a Midwest winery and some from folks that have participated as judges. Problem is that things change and what was a good competition back in the 1990s may not be now and what was a poor show back then may have improved. The better competitions have web pages where you can look up the judges and all the medal winners which makes it a lot easier to determine the quality.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru

Postby Mike Bowlin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Like most replies the vast majority of those medals that I have seen or purchased meant nothing with one notable exception. Peachy Canyon Zin from the Paso Robles area in California has had many state medals attributed to specific wines and vintages. I purchased those and was pleasantly surprised that the winners proved to be just that, very good zins IMHO. :D
Thanks,
Mike
Mike Bowlin
Ultra geek

Postby Peter May » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 am

The value of the medal depends on who is issuing them and how many enter.

Some competitions Gold is the highest, others it is topped by double golds, platinums, trophys and etc. Some comps seem to offer a medal just for entering.
Peter May
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum