The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hirtzberger Honivogl Gruner 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Hirtzberger Honivogl Gruner 2001

by Hoke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Here's the excerpted version of a longer writeup on the Hirtzberger Honivogl-Gruner Veltliner 2001, another brilliant jewel from the amazing cellar of Lou and BettyLu Kessler on the occasion of their January 2013 Cassoulet Dinner.

One of the loveliest things about Grüner is its ability to be perfectly satisfying and delightful when young yet continue to develop---for thirty or more years!---and show constantly different facets as it ages, much like the fabled white Burgundies. Indeed, some experts stoutly maintain that the older a Grüner gets, the more it tastes like a Montrachet or Meursault.

The Hirtzberger Honivogl is poised in that long, slow transition from brilliant freshness to mature development; it retains the original acidity-driven intensity of a handful of fresh crushed green herbs mingled with citrus, but its 12 years of cellaring has developed a whisper of saline mingling with celery seed, a brisk snap of freshly ground white pepper, and a surprising appearance of…white peaches. Age has also altered the texture of the Honivogl from its original crisp and edgy bite to a softer, silkier mouth-coating richness.

Brash and aggressively charming when young; demure and discreetly charming when mature---what more could you ask of a wine?

If you'd like the full version, it's here: http://www.tasteandcompareacademy.com/wine--spirit-blog.html
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Hirtzberger Honivogl Gruner 2001

by Salil » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Old Hirtzberger is glorious. One of the great pleasures in wine for me. I had the good fortune to enjoy a bottle of this from David B's cellar some time ago, and it was tremendous. That said, I am keeping my two bottles of 2001 Singerriedel buried for a few more years.

"Brash and aggressively charming when young; demure and discreetly charming when mature---what more could you ask of a wine?"

For it to be more readily available!!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Stay tuned in, Salil. Fairly soon I'll be posting a WTN on the bottle of Prager Weissenkirchen Smaragd Riesling Wachstum Bodenstein 2001---also pulled from Lou and BL's amazing stash.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Hoke wrote:Stay tuned in, Salil. Fairly soon I'll be posting a WTN on the bottle of Prager Weissenkirchen Smaragd Riesling Wachstum Bodenstein 2001---also pulled from Lou and BL's amazing stash.

With an assist from Joe Dougherty. :x

Mark Lipton