The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two Reds to go with the lamb roast!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Two Reds to go with the lamb roast!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:24 am

Ok, so after the raisin pie, I am a lamb fanatic!! Alberta lamb can be of varying quality so I tend to go for NZ which is nicely package at Safeways nearby in town. Boned out by myself, stuffed and studded with garlic, mint sauce on the side. Yum, especially with roasted pots and braised turnip and parsnip.

WTN: `03 Quinta de Roriz Douro Prazo Portugal.

Seems to have a bit of a cult following in these parts, goes off the shelf so fast. Tasted with the Grill servers so not much to go around for me!
Opened for 2 hours, not decanted, dark ruby in colour. Nose was blueberry, some oak and leathery, some thought ripe tones. One glass left to take home for the lamb, good flavours with spice, earthy, some mocha along with fair tannins, strawberry, plums. Have some of the `04 in the cellar, I will be ready!! $20 Cdn thereabouts.

WTN: `04 Bodegas Arrocal Ribera del Duero Spain.

New addition to a great selection downtown, young winery, cool website. Tinta del Pais based naturally.

Colour is ruby/purple tinges, medium plus intense centre but not opaque. On the nose a potpourrie of aromas, plums, black cherry, currants,black pepper. Hint of oak as it airs, opened 2 hrs and decanted.
Sure tasted better the second day! Initially cassis, firm tannins that developed over 3 hours but the lamb helped.Med to full bodied, oak, chocolate, good complexity. Something astringent on the finish at first but improved with food? Too young for my palate, cellar this one forumites.
Cost about $18 Cdn.