Remember/WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Re: Remember/WeeksEnd wine

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm

David Raccah wrote:Well the sparklers will get a reaction fro many here. Personally, I think the 2007 BdB is first, than the Drappier, than the other two. The whites I have no comment on, other than the fact that Goose Bay whites are DOA after two years AT BEST, drink this up a long time ago. I hope I get to taste the Syrah from City Winery soon, the Shiloh, Gilgal, and/or Prix are all boring or dead to me. The 2010 Alma is a shocker for sure, will taste that one again soon. A couple of months ago it was fine - maybe a bad bottle or storage - or bad luck.

The Bordeaux blends - WOW! I agree on the last two for sure, thought they were boring to DOA. The 2002 of the Valandruad is also flat - so not sure about the life expectancy of these wines.

Of the Cabs, I am surprised to see MJT in second place - the Batinelli Cab most be a beast - and so it showed better at the end. I agree with wine tastings being a poor way to overall taste wines - and that sitting with them one-on-one is a better way, but I only have so many weekends...

Great stuff!
David

David,

I'm on the other side of the fence than you on the sparklers. I've never found the BdB from Yarden to be great. Yes, I will drink them, but to me they are almost on par with the Cava, providing sharp notes of citrus and apple with a heavy hand with the yeast. I hoped to be blown away by the Drappier, but was not. I have a bottle of the Carte Blanc that I'll try over the next two weeks. I was expecting a much more layered and nuanced champagne, one that will make a case for it over a Californian sparkler such as the Hagafen, but that did not happen.

In hindsight I regret choosing the Goose Bay Viognier, a poor choice since I had many other candidates from which to choose. The only reason, I ended up going with it is because besides serving an array of grape varietals, each of the wines was from a different region: A Californian, an Alsatian, an Italian and this one from New Zealand. I did however, have the Pinot Grigio from Goose Bay, and that is from the 2011 vintage. But the Viognier was supposed to be the wine to represent the floral, honeyed end of the spectrum of whites.

Personally, I would have chosen a very different lineup of Syrah. As for your perspective on the Prix Syrah, I respect it, but in general I don't see you take much interest in maturing wines. You tend to call them boring, but I go to them with an expectation to experience secondary flavors.

As for the Bordeaux blends, factoring into my decision was the blend components of each of them. Shirah's and Yatir's are unique. Yatir's relying heavily on Petit Verdot, and Shirah limiting its use of Cabernet, and introducing a very novel blend. Unfortunately, I don't think my guests picked up on that.

Turning to the Cabs, I expect Hagafen's Cabs to last between 15 and 20 years. In fact I tend to limit my purchase of Cabs that won't last at least 10 years, unless its a cheap quaffer. The Batinelli has great fruit, but I don't see how that fruit is counter balanced with anything else.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Michael P wrote:Pinchas,

Thank you for this report. This is the beauty of a blind tasting.

On the Bordeaux Blends panel, I believe you may have had some adverse vintage issues. If I recall correctly, 2006 Negev vintage was quite good whereas the 2001 Bordeaux vintage was quite mediocre.

One question - I haven't seen much of the Feudi wines stateside (the kosher ones) - can you tell me where you purchased them?

Michael

Hi Michael,

You should have seen the jaws of people drop when they discovered that the Leoville-Poyferre was the poorest of the bunch. They all confessed to loving the bottle when it isn't tasted blind. It is difficult to accept the vintage as an excuse for the poor showing of the French blend, when it retails for over 100 dollars. But again, subtle wines show poorly in settings such as this, and the Leoville is an earthy subtle wine, definitely at this stage of its life.

Of the 20 bottles, I contributed 13, and the Feudi was not mine. The contributor told me that he purchased it in Italy, and that it is indeed not available in the States.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Michael P » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Pinchas L wrote:
Hi Michael,

You should have seen the jaws of people drop when they discovered that the Leoville-Poyferre was the poorest of the bunch. They all confessed to loving the bottle when it isn't tasted blind. It is difficult to accept the vintage as an excuse for the poor showing of the French blend, when it retails for over 100 dollars. But again, subtle wines show poorly in settings such as this, and the Leoville is an earthy subtle wine, definitely at this stage of its life.

Of the 20 bottles, I contributed 13, and the Feudi was not mine. The contributor told me that he purchased it in Italy, and that it is indeed not available in the States.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Pinchas,

I find Kosher Bordeaux's are generally difficult to properly fit in a price comparison tasting. Moreover, the Kosher French wines from weaker vintages tend to have a larger quality discount in comparison to wines from Israel from weaker vintages (I'd add dedicated kosher wineries in California to this latter category).

I don't know much about the people attending your group tasting, but I can understand the desire for younger, more fruit forward, wines paired with a more novice crowd. Personally, I didn't enjoy the 2001 Leoville, but they've produced other vintages that are excellent.

Thanks for the information on the Feudi wine.

Michael
Michael P
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Pinchas - love this tasting - the more I read it. Indeed I am not a fan of mature wines - I do want wines with a bite, either complexity or tannin, or something :lol: Some mature wines show one of those characteristics, and rarely show fruit. I had another bottle of the 2005 Yiron last night - DINK UP! Clearly one of those now maturing wines - with nice complexity, but no bite and no fruit. At least it has that 0- but I will admit, that is not what I want in my wines. I am not a guy who yearns for young wines - but ones with attack is fine.

Again - sounded like a great tasting and look forward to your notes on the Drappier Blanc.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Sounds like a great tasting and, subject to the members of the crowd (I can only guess one member besides yourself), clearly indicative of why conducting blind tastings on occasion can be so very enlightening. That said, your tasting wasn't really a "fair" blind tasting (not does it appear to have intended to be one), as different vintages, regions and winemaking styles were in play, not to mention different varietals. Still a great experience and, likely for many - quite the humbling one.

I'd highly recommend to anyone really interested in wine to conduct such double blind tastings periodically. Personally, I know I learn something new about my palate every time I do blind tastings...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Sounds like a great tasting and, subject to the members of the crowd (I can only guess one member besides yourself), clearly indicative of why conducting blind tastings on occasion can be so very enlightening. That said, your tasting wasn't really a "fair" blind tasting (not does it appear to have intended to be one), as different vintages, regions and winemaking styles were in play, not to mention different varietals. Still a great experience and, likely for many - quite the humbling one.

Hi Yossie,

One of my many goals was to highlight differences. Therefore, I made a conscious attempt to choose wines that aren't too similar to any other in the lineup. In fact, i had originally planned on serving a Grand Vin, but when someone brought the Petit Castel I replaced the Grand Vin with another bottle. I don't think any of the other participants contributes to this forum, but by and large they drink wine on a regular basis, and some of them get to drink quality wine quite often. However, for the most part I think that they drink wines in a very narrow range from the wide spectrum available.

And I practically gave away the identity of the one participant you have in mind. In fact he put together the flight of Syrah, with me throwing the Hagafen Prix into the mix after the fact.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 am

Friday night = 2005 Eagles landing Edna Valley Syrah. Fruit bomb.
Saturday = 2006 Peraj Petita.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:25 am

Bill Coleman wrote:Saturday = 2006 Peraj Petita.

Hi Bill, did that one age well?
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:38 am

Mostly duds, but some nice wines along with few experimental benyo wines. The 2005 yiron is in clear drink up mode and the 2005 yarden cab is not getting any better

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/02/25 ... rim-wines/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 am

2010 Psagot cab franc- a big hit. Nice balance and fruit.
2008 GM meron, - i liked it because it is earthy full bodied, but very subdued fruit. it didn't wow the crowed as much as the Psagot
covenant landsman zin- I found it to be sweet and too ripe fruit . I was expecting more.

Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:29 am

Sam - very interesting, I do not remember the 2008 Meron being so sweet - but I will look into that one, the Cab Franc is lovely but some here do not like it as much as we seem to.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello,

Had many exciting wines for (Shushan) Purim, some were big hits and a few were true plonk but as we say, that was "for the cause" :lol: ...

Fasten your seat belts! 8)

Sunday night:

Champagne Pommery Brut N.V.: Light yellow gold with on the nose apples, tart nectarines and a hint of brioche. Medium-bodied with nice yet short bubbles with notes of gold floury apples, nectarines and butterscotch with hints of ripe lemon and yellow grapefruit with some minerality as well showing throughout with a nice creamy mouth-feel from the mid-palate towards the moderate and yeasty finish. Not much complexity here but a nice Champagne, terrible QPR though. The Yarden Bdb is incomparably better.

GHW, Yarden Pinot Noir 2007: Was nice and didn't feel past its peak but tasted way too heavy and spicy for a Pinot.

GHW, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2003: Dark garnet towards cherry red, on the nose ripe cherries, red plums and cassis along with a hint of milk chocolate. Full-bodied and smooth with on the palate ripe cassis, cherries, blackberries, plums, tobacco and some roasted herbs on the long, elegant finish. Was really nice and didn't seem at all to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Bustan, Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: Very dark garnet with purple reflections, on the nose intoxicating aromas of sweet cherries, blackberries and cassis along with dark chocolate. Medium to full-bodied, with on the palate crushed berries, cherries, layers of blackberries and cherries along with black licorice and mediterranean herbs with a dollop of tar and smoky-sweet pipe tobacco, nice bracing acid providing a good backbone with the nice tannins gently coating the mouth on the long and luscious finish. Beautiful wine.

Celler de Capçanes, La Flor del Flor del Primavera, Montsant 2010: 100% Grenache from old vines some being 100 y.o. and more this is a superb wine, bold with dense black fruit on the nose including blackberries, blueberries and redcurrants along notes of smoked meat. Full-bodied with ripe black and red forest fruit as well as layers of smoked meat, toasty oak, lead pencil, kirsch liquor, saffron and spicy vanilla lingering with very nice acid and almost searing tannins on the long, round and elegant finish.

There was an absolutely horrible Cabernet Sauvignon I had never seen before, from Italy and Mevushal that was disjointed, stewed sweet, AWFUL. Another bottle, Cabernet Sauvignon from Har Bracha from a boutique israeli winery I had mysteriously never heard of that was also showing very poor.

Ella Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: Dark garnet towards purple with on the nose ripe cassis, plums and vanilla. Full-bodied with on the palate again ripe cassis and plums along with sweet cherries, a hint of loamy dirt and minerals with a touch of graphite, spicy vanilla, sweet cedar and soft tannins on the long and round finish. Very nice, but lacking a bit of acid and by far not as nice as the 2008 I tasted a few weeks ago.

Binyamina, Reserve, Gewürztraminer Late Harvest Cluster Select 2010: The first time I tasted this wine was last month at the kosher wine fair here in Jerusalem and thought it was the best dessert Gewurz of the show (VS Carmel Sha'al 2008 and Yarden Heightswine 2011). It also didn't disappoint this time. Deep gold with on the nose screaming peaches, sweet lychee, honeysuckle and dried apricots with a spicy funkiness also there to remind that 15-20% of the grapes were impacted with botrytis fungus. Full-bodied with on the palate again sweet peaches, tangerines, passion fruit, hints of white pepper coming through with dried apricots, spicy honey and almost a minty touch that gives some freshness on the long finish. Yummy.

Monday, Purim Seuda:

Shirah Wine Co., Power to the People, Syrah 2009: FINALLY! After years of being teased by fellow forumites enjoying this wine I got to enjoy it also myself thanks to Mr Dave Raccah. Muchos gracias Dave! :D By the way this was not only the first time (and unfortunately probably the last too) I had the PttP but also my first ever Weiss Bros/Shirah wine!
So, as most of you know that already, this bottle features what I consider as the most awesome label I've ever seen on a bottle of wine, this is a blend of 98% Syrah and 2% Viognier from the Thompson and McGinley Vineyards in Ojai, CA (Santa Barbara County), aged for 14 months in mostly new french oak barrels. Dark cherry red with a light purple hue with on the nose the Viognier providing some surprising (ok not so surprising as this was reported many times on this forum) but obvious notes of fresh flowers and white stone fruits including peaches and apricots. Following that, notes of dark plums, black and raspberries along chocolate and smoky tobacco. Full-bodied yet not so much bold or powerful as opposed to what I was expecting, black and red forest fruit again with notes of cherries on first attack going to reveal sweet cassis liquor and tobacco on the mid-palate and then dark chocolate and cracked black pepper with a hint of sweet wood on the long finish featuring some nicely integrated tannins. My feeling was that the wine is either at or nearing its peak and perhaps that was only my bottle but I don't believe this will age well more than 2 years from now. Anyway it was a great experience and an empty bottle (was emptied VERY quickly and enjoyed by all) that I will definitely keep. Kudos to Gabe and Shimon.

Carmel, Appellation, Cabernet Sauvignon 2007: I didn't take notes at that point but it was resembling a bit the Ella Valley CabSav 2008 (TN below) with less complexity and blackbone. Nice wine anyway and excellent QPR.

GHW, Hermon 2012: For the cause. :| 'nuff said...

Carmel, Selected, Merlot 2011: Same here... :cry:

Kinor David, Sherry Andalousie: YUM. Huge crowd pleaser.

That's it for Purim. Following is the aforementioned TN for the Ella Valley CabSav 2008 which I tasted 3 weeks ago in Tel Aviv.

Ella Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Dark purple with on the nose ripe black currants, smoked wood, black pepper. Full-bodied with on first attack ripe cassis and black currants followed by smoked meat, black olives, Mediterranean herbs and more juicy cassis, cracked pepper and a hint of vanilla with silky tannins lingering on the long finish. Superb.

A representative for Tzora winery also stopped by this afternoon to give a taste of the 2011 Judean Hills:

Tzora, Judean Hills 2011: 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 10% Syrah from both the Neve Ilan and Shoresh vineyards aged 14 months in french oak barrels. Dark clear garnet with on the nose red cherries, redcurrants, blackberries and toasted oak. Medium-bodied with on the palate cherries, mediterranean herbs, blackberries and redcurrants with notes of toasted oak and smoked meat, soft tannins and a rather short and bitter finish. Lacking acidity, backbone and harmony between the blend's components. Left me unimpressed. :(

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Shabbos Night & Day

2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Hevron Heights Special Reserve
2010 Odem Mountain Lioness

Purim

1993 Teal Lake Cabernet Sauvignon(California) - Could not believe this was still holding on.. Looney.. over its edge but had Tannin, Acid and just crazy... Pruny, Leather, Raisin and smooth.. just looney.. Was stored right!
2009 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Franc - Love the flowers...
2007 Alexander Sandro - Best QPR..
2010 Capcanes Flor De La Flor - Wow but needs time
2001 Herzog Chalk Hill - So good... Bottle of the night.. WOW.. Deep, smooth, rich and just flat out YUMMM

Also Kol Ale Beer... Local Fav Big props
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:57 am

Had a couple wines over Purim but didn't keep notes so here's what I remember:
2003 Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib: A- to A/*** Still going strong! Not muscular like a young peraj but more more elegant and subtle. Could easily be mistaken for a top-notch Bordeaux.
2007 Yarden Blanc de Blanc: A-/*** I'm a huge fan of the BdB, so when Gabriel and David raved about the '07 being better than the '05, I was very excited. I'm sorry to say, I don't see it. The '07 is still very young and the toffee-like finish is rather overwhelming. It'll settle down over time, but for now, I'm sticking to my rapidly dwindling stock of '05s. I'd say this needs another 2 years or so to begin to shine and beyond that, will continue to improve for many more years. I can't predict if with the additional age it'll be better or worse than the '05, but I'm sure it'll be great. Definitely worth stocking up on!
2011 Tel Arza Petite Verdot: B/** Easy drinking and fruity. Despite the deep color, if you close your eyes, you might for a moment mistake it for a rose. Strong notes of strawberry compote.
2007 Baron Edmond Rothschild Haut Medoc: F Simply undrinkable. Tasted like whey.
2010 Recanati PS/Zin: B++/** to *** (The prices on this wine really vary depending where you're buying, but at $20 or so, it's definitely a bargain) Not terribly complex, but a delicious, fun crowd pleaser.
2009 Baron Herzog Alexander Valley CS B to B+/** Nice well-balanced Cali Cab with more restraint than say a typical Napa. Not terribly exciting though.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Sam M » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 am

David Raccah wrote:Sam - very interesting, I do not remember the 2008 Meron being so sweet - but I will look into that one, the Cab Franc is lovely but some here do not like it as much as we seem to.

David, I agree the Meron is not sweet at all .
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Andrew B » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 pm

2006 Yatir Forest: This wine has rounded out in a big way. The overwhelming PV has integrated nicely and the wine is a joy to drink.
2010 Brobdignagian Grenache: was a little flabby and sweet this time but still enjoyable.
NV Pommery Brut Champagne: This is an excellent bottle of Champagne! Better than last time. Very rich but still with an old world dose of fruit (as opposed to LP Brut which has a little more new world profile in my opinion -- still good)
2005 Yarden BdB: Everyt time I have this wine I have to remind myself how much time it needs to open up. Pleasant wine but I think it can use more time.
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Friday night - Galil Mt. Viognier 2011 and Gvaot Gofna Pinot Noir 2010. Had hoped to save our last bottle of the PN 2010 for awhile but after tasting the 2010 vs. the 2011 in the morning with Shivi Drori at the winery, could not resist opening it for dinner.
Shabbat lunch - GHW Yarden Chardonnay Odem 2009 - needed a couple of hours after opening to lighten the wood but then it was creamy and smooth.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby EY Han » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Adam M wrote:2009 Yarden 2T - very impressed at how tasty this wine is, particularly in its youth
2007 Yarden Blanc de Blancs
2007 Galil Mountain Ela

Hi Adam,

Are you sure that the vintage of the Galil Mountain, Ella is 2007?

- E.Y.
EY Han
Wine guru

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum