The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SantaCruzMtns Italian Vaarietals???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SantaCruzMtns Italian Vaarietals???

by TomHill » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 am

Working on an article on Nebbiolo from JancisRobinson's "Wine Grapes", I noted she referred to Nebbiolo grown in the SantaCruzMtns. (Sorta) News to me...though I was aware that they had one Nebbiolo vine up on MonteBelloRidge....that never ripens.
Further research (or..at least...what passes for "research" anymore...an inquiry to Google) indicates that Ahlgren produced a 2007 Nebbiolo. Ahlgren is now going out of business...the wine is nowhere to be found.
Has anybody ever had that Ahlgren Nebbiolo?? And???

I also see that Bargetto makes some "La Vita" series of Italian varietals. From the Regan Vnyd (where that be??). They're pricey ($60-$125/btl) and the latest vintage is 2008. Anybody ever try those LaVita wines??
The LaVita blends contain Dolcetto/Refosco/Nebbiolo. Does anybody know anything about their Refosco?? For many yrs, FPS/Davis was selling what they called Refosco...but it turns out it was actually Mondeuse (which...I might add....is not too bad a mistake). Is the Bargetto Refosco actually Mondeuse??

Can anybody help me out here???
Tom