Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Best 101 restraunts in America

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Best 101 restraunts in America

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:21 pm

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Best 101 restraunts in America

by Frank Deis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Seeing the Shake Shack in the top ten is a sharp shock!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Seeing the Shake Shack in the top ten is a sharp shock!

Well, it's actually #11

All of these lists are pretty silly, but it is nice that they did include some lower priced places like Sripraphai, Xi'an, Frank Pepe, etc. But hard to figure what (if any) criteria they used for poll (how many votes did each person get?). I mean, Berns is famous for its wine list, NOT the food. List is very NYC centric, but I've only eaten at 11 of the NY choices (and Fore Street is only non-NY one I've been to- where's Manresa?_
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Yawn. Basically the same old list as always, with a couple less-expensive joints grafted on.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I have eaten at four of the Chicago offerings plus Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas. All were quite enjoyable, but I saw nothing to really distinguished one from the other to my blue-collar palate. It's almost like "Mc Fine Dining."

And for the record in I don't want anymore foam toppings or infused water as part of my fine dining experience. Those are trends that never should have trended.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:07 pm

I ate at number 85 (Bartolotta's) once. Easily my worst fine dining experience. No where close to the others on the list I have enjoyed or others not on the list. Never again when I can go to LoS or Serrano's tapas place instead.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:Seeing the Shake Shack in the top ten is a sharp shock!

Well, it's actually #11

All of these lists are pretty silly, but it is nice that they did include some lower priced places like Sripraphai, Xi'an, Frank Pepe, etc. But hard to figure what (if any) criteria they used for poll (how many votes did each person get?). I mean, Berns is famous for its wine list, NOT the food. List is very NYC centric, but I've only eaten at 11 of the NY choices (and Fore Street is only non-NY one I've been to- where's Manresa?_

A little bit south of San Francisco a litle east of Santa Cruz. By the way not just good but great.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Been to about a dozen of those. Many of that dozen, but not all, would be deserving of a "best of" rating somewhere.

But there's quite a few on the list that are head scratchers.

No rhyme nor reason nor group scheme at work here to say why these particular restaurants are on the list. Could just as easily be a list of someone who sat down with a lot of foodie magazines and said "Hmmm. Let's cut and paste a list of top end restos and throw some unusual choices in because it looks cool and hip."

Re Bern's: I'll step up and defend their food. Yeah, the wine cellar gets the articles, but the times I've been to Bern's I've enjoyed some remarkably good food. It is very much on the steak and a la carte sides style, yes. But there is also superbly quality oriented food, prepared immaculately, and with maniacal attention to detail----all the details.

A place that keeps its fresh fish in large pressurized water tanks---one for fresh water, one for saltwater---so when you order "fresh fish" someone goes back and gets that fish live for you...that's bound to be an interesting restaurant. They have a machine to grind all their own spices, daily. The list goes on and on.

It's extravagantly expensive, yes. But Bern's delivers on all their promises. And going their is the all-in-one equivalent of a dinner and show all by itself. So if you're idea of a great restaurant is a steakhouse experience with all the trimmings, they yes, Bern's is a great restaurant. And they're wine collection is real too; I've been through the tour (professional courtesy).
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 pm

I think Dale knows that Manresa is in Los Gatos -- but he meant where's Manresa on the list.

That is a very good question. At least David Kinch is nominated for outstanding chef in the James Beard awards this year!

And Mourad Lalou of Aziza is up for "best chef West"

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/20 ... ell-again/
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Fore Street is the only one in this area besides those in Boston. It is far from the best in Maine by a long shot.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Frank is correct, I was surprised that Manresa wasn't on list. Only ate there once, but one of my favorite meals (foam and all, Sam!). Generally on lots of lists of top restaurants in world.

Some of them (Fore Street for instance) seem to be on there because they were pioneers, more than current status (I actually liked Hugo's more than Fore St)

Obvious attempt at some geographic diversity, yet they end up with 3 TX BBQ places, and a couple in Nashville, but no KC or Carolina? And we all know eastern NC is where real 'cue comes from.
I'm surprised that Charleston had 3 restaurants in top 101 yet that Atlanta had none. First entry for Washington DC is at #65. Nothing for Research Triangle?

The NYC list is not what I'd have come up with (I haven't eaten at Torrisi, but only heard lukewarm comments). The 4 Seasons?? Al di La were pioneers, and a very good restaurant, but top 101 in country?

I have (wealthier) friends who go to Berns every few months. They always say good steakhouse, but not the level of say Luger's meat. But they get to wander warehouse to see what they can unearth (and somm makes up a price on spot)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Frank is correct, I was surprised that Manresa wasn't on list. Only ate there once, but one of my favorite meals (foam and all, Sam!). Generally on lots of lists of top restaurants in world.

I've gone on record as saying that I had one of the top meals of my life there, so I'm happy to reinforcement that sentiment. And that's putting it up against some pretty stiff competition (Charlie Trotter's, Gary Danko [2x], Hawthorne Lane and El Celler de Can Roca)
Obvious attempt at some geographic diversity, yet they end up with 3 TX BBQ places, and a couple in Nashville, but no KC or Carolina? And we all know eastern NC is where real 'cue comes from.

Smile when you say that, son! :D

Mark Lipton
(Memphis 'cue devotee)
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 pm

In terms of New Haven pizza, I'd put Modern ahead of Pepe's.

I'm a little surprised that Ibiza in New Haven is not on such a list, it's by far the best restaurant I've come across in CT and in my experiences is just a faint notch below some of the top rated places like Blue Hill Stone Barns and EMP, and I don't say that to be disparaging of EMP or BHSB in ANY way. For New England representation, I'd also put Troquet (in Boston) up there with some of the better places where I've dined in NYC and Chicago.

Glad Gramercy Tavern gets some love, ahead of more 'starred' establishments like Babbo and Daniel. What a great restaurant that is. Amazing wine list too.