The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: nice dinner with Rhones, Bordeaux, and Loires

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: nice dinner with Rhones, Bordeaux, and Loires

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Had over 2 couples for dinner last night, good times ensued. We started with proscuitto and melon (Galia and Charentais) as well as some duck foie gras w/trufffles canapes.
Bubbly was the 2002 Foreau Vouvray Brut. Apple, mineral, and brioche, fine mousse, good acids, very nice indeed. B+/A-

Betsy made a pot roast/brasato to serve over egg noodles, with glazed carrots and an arugula/red cabbage salad. Several reds made their way around table

2008 Ch. Peybonhomme Les Tours (1er Cotes du Blaye)
this was mostly a cooking wine, but we enjoyed the end of bottle. Currant, green tobacco leaf, moderate acids, light tannins. B/B-

2011 Franck Balthazar Cotes du Rhone
Fresh, peppery, with undertones of bacon and black olives beside black fruits. Very lively, nice length, get more. A-

1999 Ch. de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Drinking well, black tarry fruit, smoke and spice, tannins in background, good. B+

2005 La Vieille Cure (Fronsac)
This is tannic and surprisingly stern for a modern styled Bdx, maybe shut down, more wood than anything else. Not a lot of pleasure here, though others liked more. B-/C+

Strawberries and cream for dessert, along with a half bottle of 2002 Huet “Le Mont” Vouvray Moelleux 1er Trie . Not as sweet as I expected, but delicious and beautifully balanced with orange marmalade, pineapple,and apricot flavors, a little wax, very long. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: nice dinner with Rhones, Bordeaux, and Loires

by Mark S » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Dale, have you tried any of the recent (2009-10) Balthazar Cornas? A lot of good press on them, and cheap, when you compare them to the greats (Allemand, Clape, etc.)
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

It's been a while, but the few times I tried the 05 Vieille Cure, it was hard as nails. It was brutal to taste on release.

In contrast, I tried the 09 version in August - it was wide-open, lush, enjoyable, maybe a bit OTT, and having little of the structure or personality of the 05. Just vintage differences?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Mark S wrote:Dale, have you tried any of the recent (2009-10) Balthazar Cornas? A lot of good press on them, and cheap, when you compare them to the greats (Allemand, Clape, etc.)

FWIW, I've only had the 05 Balthazar Chaillots and I don't think it is even close to rivaling the 'greats' of Cornas but for my tastes was well worth the price. And I like the firm style. However, everyone's cellar strategy is different.

My most recent bottle (a few weeks ago) was difficult and not in a particularly good stage so I should probably wait. It might be interesting to try the newer vintages.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Only had the '05 Balthazar Chaillot recently and I'm in Rahsaan's camp there - just not the time to be opening that wine. It's firm, a bit austere and made in a rather tannic style, and not for drinking now. Heard many good things about the recent vintages there, just haven't tried. But I would be optimistic if the CDR is any indication.

As Dale said, that is fantastic right now. Love that wine. Just a crazy good value.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Patrick, haven't had any younger LVC, but think I've decided I'm out of the modern-RB Bdx game unless it's a just released bottle for a steak. I can like them really young, but not when shut down, and not sure I see any real gain when they open back up. But I have a few 2000s, 2001, 2003s, and 2005s left (including 5 more LVC)s, hope I can open them at right time.

I just ordered a mixed case (most Franck Balthazar CdR) from CSW that included the Chaillot, will put aside based on these comments- thanks guys!