The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mike Dunne's column today-Solune ????

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Mike Dunne's column today-Solune ????

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Anyone tried the Solune wines from Nevada County profiled today?

Sounds worth a visit!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Mike Dunne's column today-Solune ????

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Well...had a chance to try some Solune wines on Friday. I was halfway there anyways, so I did the drive up to Grass Valley on Friday. Except for the horrific sprawl strip north of Auburn (god American urban planning can be the worst), it's a lovely drive. Drove up to the winery itself, but only open on weekends. BUT...they pour the wines at a lovely group tasting bar in downtown Grass Valley (a great town!). Very, very brief impressions:

2009? Tempranillo. Pretty nice. Red fruit, a fine savory, meaty note to the wine. Would buy this one.

2009 Cabernet. profiled in the Bee. Oak needs to integrate right now, and maybe could use more acidity, but a lovely, polished plum and licorice cabernet that is delicious. Earthy character. Would buy.

Barbera. A little jammy for me. I prefer light, acidic Barberas.

2006 Bordeaux Blend...on "sale" for $16! took it to a party Saturday night and it was lovely! Integrated oak. Still some tannic backbone. Lovely earth and plum fruit. Very nice!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach