The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Ledru Brut and 1995 Angelus

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2002 Ledru Brut and 1995 Angelus

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:12 pm

My friend, Kim, and I shared a couple of nice bottles last night.

2002 Marie-Noelle Ledru Champagne Grand Cru Brut Nature - The nose was first and foremost apples, and then toasty brioche. Small bubbles, hefty, and with good intensity. Granny Smith apples, light red berries, yeasty, with grapefruit popping up at the very end, and an amazingly long finish. It was complex and delicious, and interesting to note, that it was much more open in Kim's glass which was wider than my traditional Champagne glass that the restaurant provided. Note to self, next time don't forget to either bring or request a larger glass. We had a variety of appetizers, and the fullness of the Champagne worked with mushroom risotto as well as gnocchi with Guinea hen, and also smoked salmon with horseradish cream.

1995 Chateau Angelus - Surprisingly dark and young. A little musty when I first sniffed and tasted but after spending time in the decanter it opened up beautifully. Fragrant with dark cherry, hints of vanilla, leather, and animal. I found the tannins to be well integrated, and the palate copied the nose. Very fresh tasting with well defined fruit, good weight, balanced acidity, and a satisfying finish. It has quite a bit of Cabernet Franc in the blend giving it an herbaceous quality but always remaining vibrant. A beauty that we had with lamb shank and rib eyes.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2002 Ledru Brut and 1995 Angelus

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Sounds delicious. Glad to see a 1995 performing well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: 2002 Ledru Brut and 1995 Angelus

by Salil » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Ledru's wines are just awesome. You've got to try her Cuvee du Goulte.