The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Malbec based boredeaux blend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Malbec based boredeaux blend

by Tom N. » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Deep purple red. Expressive nose of cassis, black raspberry and dark fruits. Delicious midpalate with well balancd black rapsberry, juicy acidity and silky but powerful tannins. Long finish of dark fruits and lingering tannins. Medium to full bodied with good complexity showing up in the midpalate with layers of dark fruit flavors and really nice balance.
With food: very good match with Mediterrean Lamb stew topped with a surprisingly bright fresh mint and orange zest gremolata (I know it is not fresh chopped parsley, but is similar in texture and fresh taste). Definitely new world fruity style, but with the nice balance and food friendliness, a real nice wine.

Wine: Cuvelier Los Andes, Coleccion 2009, 15% abv. 59% Malbec, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 5% syrah, 5% petit verdot. $22 CA$
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: Malbec based boredeaux blend

by Jim Grow » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey Tom, I have really liked a lot of wines from both Argentina and Chile lately but your wine is lacking 6% of something. Do the math.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: Malbec based boredeaux blend

by Tom N. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Jim Grow wrote:Hey Tom, I have really liked a lot of wines from both Argentina and Chile lately but your wine is lacking 6% of something. Do the math.

Hey Jim,

You are right, it is missing 6%. My mistake, the merlot is actually 16% (not 10%). That is what I get for reading it off the bottle without my cheaters :roll: . This wine was a very nice fruity bordeaux mix with excellent balance. I may have to buy some more.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.