The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

bubbles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

bubbles

by MichaelB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:44 am

It was team Scrabble (tm) night and the tipple was Piper Sonoma NV. Moderate bead, very active bubbles. Opponent Paul claimed that the bubbles were due to a copious dosage which I gather is sweetness. Heck, our anniversary wine is Jose Michel Special Club, and it's bone dry--but is very bubbly with a finer bead. Paul can keep you out of jail, but he's no chemist, so my question is whether or not there is some relationship between bubbliness and dosage in methode champenoise wine.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: bubbles

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 am

The amount of carbonation is due to the amount of sugar added to provide food for the yeast during the bottle fermentation (tirage). If too much sugar is added the bottles could explode. The dosage is sugar added after the bottle fermentation has been completed and does not produce any bubbles. It is to sweeten the taste of the final product.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks, Howie! I often log on and read posts but seldom post myself because I am just not the expert the rest of you are. But I do like sparkling wine and hope that someday the wine of the month will be British bubbly.And I've tried to grow my own as you do, with illegally imported Mexican aglianco grapes. Nuthin! Is there any wine grape that can survive minus 20 degree Fahrenheidt temperatures with decent volcanic soil?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:...Is there any wine grape that can survive minus 20 degree Fahrenheidt temperatures with decent volcanic soil?
Check out the University of Minnesota website. They have developed some varieties that will withstand -35 DegF. http://www.grapes.umn.edu/
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.