The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pontet-Canet; another good 1994.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Pontet-Canet; another good 1994.

by Tim York » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am

1994 claret, particularly left-bank, has drawn mostly lukewarm reviews from the outset. By contrast 1995 was praised to the skies initially but has drawn less enthusiasm in recent years. Up to now, I have found my 1994s far more satisfactory drinking than the 95s, though I still hope that the latter may come round one day. This is another good example of the former.

Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac 5ème Grand Cru Classé 1994 – Tesseron – Alc.12.5% was even better than a bottle opened about 6 months ago, mainly through seeming less gritty in texture and angular in its tannins. Colour was quite deep showing little signs of age and the nose was expressive with savoury cassis tinged red and dark fruit, a welcome dab of Bordelais noble green, gritty minerals and a hint of cedar. The palate was medium/full showing quite primary red fruit, decent depth, velvety texture, more minerals and lively acidity together with firm tannins on a finish with fair length; excellent 17/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pontet-Canet; another good 1994.

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Always had good experiences with this wine. Pontet-Canet was a personal favorite up until about 2005 when it got crazy price-wise.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

That's nice to hear, Tim. We have a couple bottles of this squirreled away in the cellar, along with a few of the 2000. We'll have to open a '94 sometime soon.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Good note. Pontet Canet is my favorite Bordeaux, and in fact now that I'm on Cellar Tracker I can see to what extent it's one of my favorite producers period, it's my third largest holding. Even Bordeauxs so called bad vintages are never bad for PC. I'm so sorry that the rest of the world has figured out how good the wines are. I don't have the '94, but am a fan of the'94 vintage and at the point where I do wish I'd bought more of them back when they were practically free. My favorite of the vintage so far? Pichon Baron.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:46 pm

This was Alfred Tesseron's first vintage on his own making PC. He was quite proud of the vintage and I would agree. He did an excellent job in a difficult year, spending a lot of money on a wine that at the time was not fetching the prices that it is today.