The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another very nice red Vinho Verde

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Another very nice red Vinho Verde

by Saina » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Aphros Vinhão Vinho Verde 2011
Purple. A very nice sharp berry aroma, slightly woodsy/leesy aroma. With air it becomes almost mainstream in its aromas with a nice strawberry aroma. Tangy but fairly low in tannins, good acidity, and quite full body. This is a really nice wine with a dinner of various cured pig products. But it does seem a bit of a tame version of the grape when compared to e.g. Quinta de Gomariz. As much as I liked this Aphros, I must say I did prefer the wilder, though admittedly more difficult and probably less popular style of QG.

Vinhão seems to be a grape variety just to my taste. I think I need to order a bunch from Portugal. Who else makes good Vinhão?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: WTN: Another very nice red Vinho Verde

by Joe Moryl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

It is Lamprey season in Portugal, and Vinho Verde tinto is supposed to be a good match. I haven't been there when they are available, and I'm not sure I have the guts to order one.

The best Vinhao I had on my last trip to the Minho was the one made at Adega do Sossego, just outside Melgaco, although the one from Aphros is very nice. I doubt you'll find the Adega do Sossego version outside of Portugal, as it is a small place making wine mostly for the restaurant of the same name. I've even had a respectable Vinhao from the Ponte da Lima co-op.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Why wouldn't you have the guts to order lamprey?

Thanks for the names - I'll probably make an order from Portugal soon so those might be available.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Why wouldn't you have the guts to order lamprey?

I'll eat just about anything, but for some reason I really don't like the way they look.
Plus, I've been told that it is an 'acquired taste'. But that is also said to be the case with Vinhao, so....