The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New Wines...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New Wines...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:33 pm

We tried last week (1/30/13) some More New Wines:
1. JeanPerrier Apremont AC: Vin de Savoie (100% Jacquere; CuveeGastronomie; 11.5%; www.BondImports.com)
: Pale gold color; quite pretty fresh apple/mineral/stony slight floral rather fragrant nose;
fairly tart/lean/metallic rather mineral/apple/stony bright/crisp flavor; med. tart/lean/mineral/
stony light apple/floral fresh/crisp/bright finish; not a profound wine but a pretty little fresh
classic Savoie Jacquere at a great price. $14.00 (BWM)
stony/mineral finish; a bit more fruit & floral richness than the first; quite an attractive Savoie
Jacquere at a good price. $18.00 (DaV)
earthy/dusty rather interesting nose; rather rich/lush spicy/floral/carnations/green apple/angel
food cake some spicy light earthy/dusty flavor; med.short fairly rich/lush spicy/floral/carnations/
green apple/angel food cake finish; seems fully ripe and not green/eviscerated; not obvious PinotNoir
character; quite a nice/interesting WhitePinot. $24.00 (BWM)
nutty bit smokey/pungent some apple/figgy slight funky/rustic/earthy quite interesting nose that speaks
mostly of Marsanne and a bit of Semillon; soft fairly rich nutty/figgy/floral/waxy/ripe bit earthy/
funky interesting flavor; fairly long rich/ripe nutty/figgy/waxy bit earthy/pungent finish; quite an
interesting that speaks mostly of figgy/Semillon and a bit of aged Marsanne; quite attractive if
unusual white at a very good price. $20.00
some Pinot-like bit Gamay-like somewhat terroir-driven nose; bit tart very light pretty/cherry/juicy/
Gamay-like rather earthy/mushroomy/dusty flavor w/ no tannins; med.short light buttery light/cherry/
juicy/Gamay-like some earthy/dusty finish w/ no tannins; rather pretty cherry character but rather light
and a bit washed out; some like a very light Loire Gamay but not as earthy/dusty; nice/pretty but just
that; disappointing for a Novacella. $22.00 (BWM)
med.short bit earthy/dusty/mettalic/ozone/pungent some charred/burnt/oak rather earthy/dusty/Pinotish
finish w/ little tannins; much like a light Loire Pinot w/o the tannins; interesting Pinot w/ the
price about the only think going for it. $10.00 (BWM)
root-cellar some roasted/espresso/smokey/Rhonish some underripe/Syrah/blackberry very unusual/
atypical flavor w/ some tannins; med.long green/underripe/green walnuts/pungent/earthy/dusty some
smokey/roasted/espresso/Rhonish light blackberry/Syrah rather earthy/dusty finish w/ some tannins;
a bit like Arnot-Roberts ClaryRanch but not the bright fruit nor the screechy acidity; rather green/
underripe character but enough Rhonish/roasted character to save this wine (IMHO); a rather conflicted/
controversial Syrah that's not for everyone; no telling what this will age into so will have to rely
on Monktown scores to decide if it'll go anywhere; very interesting Syrah at a good price. $24.00
charred/toasty/tobaccoy/oak flavor w/ modest tannins; some buttery/buttered popcorn rather charred/toasty/oak
strong plummy/Mourv/ripe/chocolaty fairly balanced finish w/ modest tannins; needs several yrs; not as
overripe/jammy as many Paso Mourvedres. $50.00
fairly long bright/strawberry/Grenache/floral/blackberry/bit licorice strong toasty/charred/oak finish w/ modest
tannins; doesn't have the tutti-fruity character nor the overripe/jammy character of many Paso Grenaches.
$50.00
licorice bit hot/alcoholic some charred/tobaccoy/toasty/oak quite spicy very interesting flavor w/ modest
tannins; bit hot/alcoholic strong strawberry/Grenache/plummylicorice/plummy quite spicy/bit herbal/rosemary
some charred/toasty/oak balanced/structured finish w/ modest tannins; shows a bit of alcoholic heat but
quite spicy and an attractive Rhone blend that speaks mostly of Grenache. $79.00
some tannins; very long smooth/polished/balanced strong blackcurranty/Cab/herbal some cedary/pencilly/oak
light loamy/dusty/earthy/Bdx-like finish w/ modest tannins; a rather elegant/balanced/polished/well-made
expression of NapaVlly Cab the likes of which you don't see much anymore; not the kind oof NapaVlly Cab
that'll turn heads in Monktown; will go out 10-20 yrs on its balance; very good value at $38.50 (CB)
modest tannins; very long/lingering strong ripe/blackcurranty/Cab light toasty/smokey/oak lush/plush
rather structured finish w/ fair tannins; should go out 10-15 yrs; not an extracted/bombastic style of
Cab but structured and very well-made; very fairly priced at $48.35
raspberry/Zin slight earthy/dusty some pencilly/Am.oak finish w/ smooth/polished tannins; not as bright
raspberry/Zin in character as previous one but seems to have more depth & structure; quite lovely Zin at
a very attractive price. $18.00
some ripe/plummy/Mourv flavor w/ light tannins; long rather earthy/mushroomy/ElDorado some plummy/Mourv
light toasty/vanilla/oak finish w/ light tannins; a nicely done Mourv that speaks strongly of its
ElDorado terroir.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual bloviations from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. PinotNoirBianco: I've had maybe a dozen PinotNoir Blancs over the yrs, mostly from Oregon. Never seen
one from Italy before (though have had several Nebbiolo Biancos). Even have had the DomaineSerene
PinotBianco, which is priced at $70/btl. It's a joke...but you have to fund the Evenstads lifestyle
I guess. Most of the PinotNoir Blancs are made, best I can tell, to salvage a PinotNoir crop that didn't
get ripened. They often have a tart/lean/green/eviscerated character to them. This Oltrepo rendition
seemed perfectly ripe and had some interest to it. And no PinotNoir character I could pick out.
mainstream wines, and have avoided the excesses/flaws that many "natural" wines can show. No bugs
or bacteria growing in the wines.
This was a very/very controversial wine. Most people disliked it because of its green/underripe
character. It had a very pungent character that reminded me of the oils from green walnut husks (know
that smell well...used to sit up on our outhouse and pluck green walnuts off the tree and throw them
against the sides of Billy & Nanny...with a resounding "thump".... the Utter's goats next door...which
would provoke ole lady Utter to come running out of the house and holler at me "TommyHill...you leave
my goats alone"); a smell that would stay on your fingers for days. But it had enough roasted/pungent/
espresso/green olive/Rhonish character that I rather liked the wine...for its eccentricities. Sorta
like why I'm much more attracted/endeared to Quasimodo or Frankenstein...rather than TomCruise or
ArnoldSwartzenegger. But it's assuredly not a Syrah for everybody. As we're admonished by Monktown
attourneys.."You have to think outside the box".
from the '70's; though more loamy and Bdx in style. The Corti Reserve Cab '78, made by JedSteele up
at Edmeades from MendocinoRidge fruit remains one of the greatest Calif Cabs I've ever had. I don't
think this Cab is in that same league...but it is a very good one.
struck me as having a bit more depth and structure than previous ones...maybe the best one yet.
Knowing my proclivities for SantaBarbara Rhone varietals, Brian sent me these samples to try with
my group. These are Brian's first foray into the Rhone field and he wanted my opinion on how I thought
he was doing.
The grapes come from WestSide PasoRobles from the RussellFamilyVnyd. Thought that name had a bit of a
familiar ring to it. Turns out to be another guy I followed from the very start, ErichRussell. Back when
he started RabbitRidge up in Healdsburg in 1981.
The group generally liked Brian's Rhones quite a bit. Plenty of toasty/oak but ample fruit to support
it. Stylistic, the wines lay somewhere between the lithe/elegant character of the TablasCreek and the
big/bombastic style of the Saxum. They showed little of that overripe/jammy character that you get in many
Paso Rhones. Maybe more elegance & lightness than I expected. Sorta like a Paso Rhone produced by
a Pinot producer. Very good/well-made Rhones, though a bit on the pricey side.
Tom
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Some New Wines...(long/boring)

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 pm

TomHill wrote:1. PinotNoirBianco: I've had maybe a dozen PinotNoir Blancs over the yrs, mostly from Oregon. Never seen one from Italy before (though have had several Nebbiolo Biancos). Even have had the DomaineSerene PinotBianco, which is priced at $70/btl. It's a joke...but you have to fund the Evenstads lifestyle I guess. Most of the PinotNoir Blancs are made, best I can tell, to salvage a PinotNoir crop that didn't get ripened. They often have a tart/lean/green/eviscerated character to them. This Oltrepo rendition seemed perfectly ripe and had some interest to it. And no PinotNoir character I could pick out...

My friend, Don DeMaison, opened Long Cliff Winery a little over a year ago. While crushing his 2011 vintage of Pinot Noir, I was there, picking up some of the same grapes for myself. His primary fermentation vats were full and he still had a few tons with nowhere to put them. I suggested that he do a whole cluster press and make sparkling wine. He looked at me like I was nuts, but after an explanation and a few minutes of thinking, he ordered his sons to load the whole clusters into his cider press. The juice was clear and without color - almost like water. The wine fermented cleanly, but after a few months, he had a change of heart. Since he was just starting out and trying to make ends meet, he decided to bottle it and release it as a white wine, so as to not tie up resources in sparkling wine tierage at this stage. The wine is very crisp and refreshing, but I still think it would have made a great bubbly. http://longcliffwinery.com/tag/pinot-magic/
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.