The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vieux Donjon, Chat.-du-Pape, 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Vieux Donjon, Chat.-du-Pape, 2001

by Mark S » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Drink up boyz: it's not goin' get any better, and may even be in declining mode. Maturing color of maroon with tawny edges, a mature nose of decaying plums, prunes, leather books. Sour plums, prunes, cherry pit, a gamy-saline finish. Delicious old-school 'neuf and at peak I'd say. A-
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Vieux Donjon, Chat.-du-Pape, 2001

by Jenise » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm

I was surprised that an 01 Donjon was this far along--too far along--so checked for Bill Spohn's notes on a dinner nine months ago that I wanted to attend but could not. That night's 2001 was in a good place: "ripe slightly funky nose of savoury mushroom and meat , medium weight, soft tannins and some pepper. Drinking well now – in a more classic idiom than some of the earlier vintages." Wouldn't presume from that a long future ahead, but longer than nine months so if you have more bottles, perhaps they'll show a wee bit better than this one did.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Jenise - I first tried one about 2-3 years ago and thought it young still, very good though. This was considerably more advanced than that bottle, and I will drink my last one sooner rather than later (within 2 years most likely).
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 am

I've got three left, and the last time I had one (at the tasting Jenise missed) it was firing on all cylinders. But I'll have to try one this year sometime.