The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Van Volxem Riesling "Volz"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rainer from CH

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm

WTN: 2005 Van Volxem Riesling "Volz"

by Rainer from CH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 pm

2005 Van Volxem Riesling "Volz" (Saar, Germany)
Truly awesome combination of white flowers, lemons, tropical fruits, green tea and sea salt on the nose.
Incredible body with a classic "Trimbach"-like backbone, super-fine tannins and subtle freshness. High concentration with moderate levels of acidity and alcohol (12.5%). This must be at its absolute peak now, amazing, a dangerous drug .. - Cheers, Rainer
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Van Volxem Riesling "Volz"

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Quite dry?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rainer from CH

Rank

Ultra geek

by Rainer from CH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Quite dry?

Surprisingly yes. :wink: There's also enough acidity to alow balance, structure and freshness, really a positive surprise to me. :D
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:07 am

Is Volz a specific vineyard site? If so, in which locality?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 am

Did not Volz use to be classified separately in ancient times? IIRC, it is a part of the Wiltinger Braunfels.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 am

Fredrik L wrote:Did not Volz use to be classified separately in ancient times? IIRC, it is a part of the Wiltinger Braunfels.

Fredrik, I'm having difficulty in holding back a rant. If it's part Wiltinger Braunfels, which I can locate, why the h*ll not mention it on the label? But maybe the back label makes all clear.....?
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 am

Tim York wrote:
Fredrik L wrote:Did not Volz use to be classified separately in ancient times? IIRC, it is a part of the Wiltinger Braunfels.

Fredrik, I'm having difficulty in holding back a rant. If it's part Wiltinger Braunfels, which I can locate, why the h*ll not mention it on the label? But maybe the back label makes all clear.....?

Tim,

This is actually a practice that harkens back to the 1971 wine law. Volz was its own site, and in '71 was combined with others to be the larger Braunfels. Producers are trying to recognize those old site names as they believe that the old sites have distinctive character. Selbach's Anrecht, Schmitt and Rotlay bottlings are the same sort of thing (though generally sweet not dry...there was a Schmitt trocken a couple of years ago, but not sure if that has been continued). As for the van Volxem, I "think" that theBraunfels must be mentioned on the back label, as that is the officially recognized site. Selbach mentions the various Zeltingen vineyards on their parcel bottlings, just as Vollenweider did on his Wolfer Goldgrube bottlings when he was doing the separate parcel named wines.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 pm

As David points out, a number of producers are using former site names that are no longer allowed as of the 1971 Wine Law. Peter Lauer and Loch/Weinhof Herrenberg often switch to a dialect spelling with endings such as "-bersch" rather than "-berg," or "Stier" for "Stirn."

At Van Volxem, Roman had to change the spelling from Vols to "Volz." It's an enclave in Braunfels. In fact, there's a very good Saar producer named after this pre-1971 site. It's called VOLS in Ayl. The owner is Helmut Plunien. By the way, I once worked a summer at Van Volxem in the vineyards. Vols is near Scharzhofberg. The soil at Vols is a primarily hard gray slate with iron oxide. Some mistakenly describe it and the soil of the Lower Mosel as graywacke.
no avatar
User

Rainer from CH

Rank

Ultra geek

by Rainer from CH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Tim York wrote:

Hi all, I've double-checked the back label. It only says that it's a traditionally made wine from steep slate slopes ..
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Rainer from CH wrote:
Tim York wrote:

Hi all, I've double-checked the back label. It only says that it's a traditionally made wine from steep slate slopes ..

Because of the spelling change, it is technically a fantasy name.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Lars Carlberg wrote:
Rainer from CH wrote:
Tim York wrote:

Because of the spelling change, it is technically a fantasy name.

This really puts us into the silly season :? .

I sympathise with growers' wish to resurrect formerly famous plot names, the suppression of which was one of the bad features of the 1971 law. However being obliged to change the spelling :lol: and dispensing with Wiltinger Braunfels :lol: :lol: ....... (Daniel Vollenweider, if I remember correctly my bottles of 01 or 02, put "Portz" as a neck label but retained Wolfer Goldgruber on the main label.)

One has to be one of the chosen few in the know to be aware of the excellence and origin of Volz or Vols. Thanks to Rainer's excellent TN and the other contributors here, I am now one of those happy few :D .
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Tim,

There's not enough Volz for more than a chosen few.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 pm

I just had a bottle of Vollenweiders great 2003 LGKA and checking my records I see that a whopping 50 litres were produced; talk about the chosen few...