Wine by the Chemist's Recipe Book

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Wine by the Chemist's Recipe Book

Postby Brian K Miller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:26 pm

I thought this was a fascinating article on the various additives available on the market for home winemaking. Truly remarkable how "wine" can be reduced to various chemical additives and amendments!

http://www.wineterroirs.com/2013/01/mak ... .html#more
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Re: Wine by the Chemist's Recipe Book

Postby Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I thought this was a fascinating article on the various additives available on the market for home winemaking. Truly remarkable how "wine" can be reduced to various chemical additives and amendments!

http://www.wineterroirs.com/2013/01/mak ... .html#more

Home winemaking? You might be shocked to know how many of these additives are used by MANY, MANY, MANY, very famous 'Top-Quality' wineries throughout the world.
Wein schenkt Freude
Bill Hooper
Wine guru

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Actually, that's a very small sample of products available. I use a few of those additives when necessary, but my experience has taught me that the less one does, the better the wine, but that is a function of quality grapes.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Brian K Miller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Home winemaking? You might be shocked to know how many of these additives are used by MANY, MANY, MANY, very famous 'Top-Quality' wineries throughout the world.

Oh yeah, Bill. Did not mean to imply in any way that these were home-only products. In fact, their use in commercial wines was one of the underlying themes of the article! :wink:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Return to The Wine Forum