The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So what are we opening this weekend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

So what are we opening this weekend?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Always interested to see which wines are lined up.
I have just pulled the `99 Noval LBV (Unfiltered).
Probably a Spatburgunder tomorrow?
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: So what are we opening this weekend?

by Sam Platt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Ah, Port! Good thought starter, Bob.

I have a Graham's 20 yo Tawny that I've been meaning to open. I might just dip into that bad-boy tonight if I can convince someone to join me. Not many Port lovers at my house.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Been incredibly hot and dry here for many weeks now .... 42C yesterday and bushfires everywhere, luckily none just around Canberra (yet!)

Got a 1998 Carl Von Schubert Maximin Grünhaus special fuder Riesling Auslese 217 standing in the fridge that should bo go well with chilled summer fruits this afternoon or even with desserts tonight, a New Zealand 2012 Drift Malborough Sauvignon Blanc that I bought for peanuts at the local liquor store the other day, and with mains tonight of bbq'd spiced lamb drizzled with a garlic yoghurt sauce and perhaps a tad youthful, but nonetheless top class, the 1996 Ch. La Grange.

Tomorrow's another day with the last of my resident jazzo's departing for other climes.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 am

Finishing off a Sancerre tomorrow evening and then, depending on the menu, opening a 2000 Vieux Maillet to go with a steak or a 2001 Brunello to go with pasta and veal and mushrooms. Wednesday evening I'm attending an Open That Bottle Night at a Raleigh restaurant (no corkage fee) so I will be taking a 2007 Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru "Les Champans" to share with others. (I had the first of two bottles at an offline in NYC last October with Dale W. and Diane and some others and it was drinking pretty well then.) I don't often drink wines like these within a week or two span. I've recently had a slightly aging Finger Lakes Riesling and a disappointing Sonoma County Merlot so feel ready for some better wines.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 am

It depends on the chef what I pull out tonight and tomorrow. Last night we drank with duck my last bottle of Syrah Case Via 2000 from Fontodi and very good it was too :) . TN in due course.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Our weekend was thrown into a bit of upheaval when Andrew awoke at 7 am sick to his stomach, a pattern that was to repeat itself for the next 3 hours with depressing regularity. Tonight's dinner was thus chosen to be easy on his digestion: roast chicken, steamed rice and (for him) edamame. Fortunately, that's pretty wine-friendly, so we opened a bottle of the 1989 Faiveley Corton Clos du Corton which was fine: nice pinosity, foursquare Burgundian with some baking spices and pencil lead to indicate the age.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 pm

It was my birthday, so I got to choose.
The meal was cracked Dungeness crab, Caesar salad and sourdough French bread.
A massive oak-and-malo CalChard actually goes pretty well with this menu, but I opened a Forchini Russian River Valley '10 chardonnay and a David Coffaro Dry Creek Valley '10 sauvignon blanc for myself and half a dozen guests.
Nobody's a big drinker, that was more than enough.
The Chard is aged in mostly neutral oak, and it isn't pushed on the malo side, and it's one of my favorite chards anyway, and it was good.
I only took a checkout sip of the SB. It's a good wine that doesn't try to be anything else but SB. It's Californian, clearly, and David does age it in 3+ year old oak, so it isn't steely. It is good, tasty, food-friendly SB.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Friday, I opened a 2005 Bachelet Bourgogne - probably not a good time to be drinking 2005 Burgundy. It wasn't offering much pleasure, but it was handy to drink on pizza night. Tonight it will be a 2006 Larkmead Cabernet Sauvignon to go with NY Strips. My last bottle of 3 that I purchased at the winery.
Diane
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Opened a bottle of 'twisted' last night to go with cheesy chicken corn chowder. This wine is made by Flat Rock Cellars in Ontario and is wicked mix of gewurztraminer, riesling, and chardonnay. The 2010 was semisweet, had a nice nose with spices and lychees from the gewurz, the midpalate had nice acidity and good orange fruit, some lychees, and touch of peach. Nice medium finish. Really nice match with chowder as is is somewhat sweet (from the sweet corn) and the sweetness and fruit of wine really blended well with the chowder's cheese and corn while the acidity helped cleanse the palate of the the palate-coating cheesy taste.

On Friday night we finished off a bottle 0f 2010 Rosso di Montalcino that matched well with the tomato and mushroom sauce on our salisbury steaks. We had opened this wine on Thursday night to go with some homemade lasagna. Believe it or not, the wine actually matched better with the salisbury steak topping than with the lasagna, but I attribute that to the mushrooms mixed in the tomato sauce.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 am

We opened a 2011 Christmann Reiterpfad Riesling GG and a 2009 Christmann Idig Spätburgunder GG on Saturday. The Reiterpfad was excellent. I love that vineyard -peachy and succulent and clean as a whistle. The Idig was good too, but I really prefer the 2008. 2009 was a bit riper and rather soft. Christmann is now experimenting with adding a little press-wine to the Idig for added structure. I approve of that!

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 am

Here are my weekend bottles. Best was the Syrah from Fontodi, already mentioned in my above post, while the Savennières was a catastrophe partly through my failure to read past TNs before serving.

“Case Via” Syrah Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT 2000 – Tenuta Fontodi, Panzano – Alc. 13.5%
Nearly four years ago, I wrote -
C: Deep red with no bricking.
N: The development was fascinating after decanting and pouring. At first there were reductive egg notes with some leather on a background of rich dark fruit; then some blackberry, red rose and cigar box notes evocative of fine Shiraz emerged with the egg receding and after some more time the aromas integrated into a fine rich whole.
P: After some cradling of the glass to remove the last of the cellar’s chill, a rich, velvety, full bodied, darkly ripe and fruity and fragrant wine emerged with aromas of red rose and sweet cherry, hints of spice, sufficient structural support and length. From memory, the cool year 1996, which I also have in my cellar, is more acidic and closer to the Northern Rhône model with its sour cherry aromas and elegance, but I guess that this is closer to what Syrah regularly produces in the Tuscan environment; at its peak now, I think; 16/20+.

Friday’s bottle was fairly similar but without the initial reductive and Shiraz-like notes. So, I was wrong then about the wine’s being at its peak in 2009. Very good; 16/20++.

Savennières Cuvée Spéciale 1995 – Château d’Epiré – Alc.13% was a very deep yellow and showed a lot of sherry tinged wax notes. I thought of consigning it to the sink but decided to keep back about a half to use in cooking. I should have read my TN of a year ago where I advised decanting after recording a similar experience at first followed by a remarkable recovery of the remains in the bottle after about three days in the fridge. On this initial showing mediocre 12/20.

Terrae Dei Nero d’Avola IGT Sicilia 2009 – Corvo – Alc.13%, picked up from the bin-ends for €5 at a supermarket, was enjoyable partly because it was different from what I usually drink. The nose was well developed with orange peel, rose petal and slightly but agreeably rubbery notes. The medium/full bodied palate showed good fruit which added ripe blackberry to the aromas from the nose and better than expected acidity with adequately firm tannic structure. Quite good and nice once in a while 14.5/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Dark ALE.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Great posts from everyone as usual. Bill...you make me very envious :D
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Great posts from everyone as usual. Bill...you make me very envious :D

Yup. Once you go dry Riesling, it is tough to go back :twisted:

But seriously, I wish there was more off-dry Mosel available here. Sometimes there is no substitute!

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Port tasting at a local wine shop on Sat lunch time so I will take along a bottle of the Lagier Meredith Precious Bane to put up against whatever is being poured. There will also be a dinner that day with friends who will be coming with us on a little jaunt through Aussie wine country (Rutherglen, Barossa, Clare) in Feb so it will be Aussies including Penfolds Bin 311 Chardonnay, a wine I have not tried before, Mollydooker's Boxer Shiraz, and something with a little more sense of place like a Dutschke or Winter Creek Shiraz from the Barossa or maybe a New Zealand Syrah.

Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Think an `06 Claraval from Calatayud. Not a RP fruit bomb I am told :mrgreen:

Mike, lucky you..some nice wines there eh. Dutschke!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 pm

We're going to go dry tonight, but tomorrow night I've invited three couples over for dinner. Everybody always wants to bring something, but I've told them I'll handle all the food, champagne to start and Sauternes with dessert, plus one bottle for each of the three savory courses for which each of them would choose a course to also match a wine to. Will make the dinner participatory without turning it into a pot luck, and as the host I'll still bear the primary burden which is correct. I've chosen an 05 Arcadian chardonnay for the shrimp course, an Arcadian Sleepy Hollow pinot for the cold ham terrine that follows the shrimp, and I've yet to choose a cab sauv to go with the beef. I'm tempted to go Bordeaux, but then that's where my head has been all week. If the guest who chose that course brings something overtly new world, I could be sorry.

Hmmmmmm.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Mike, lucky you..some nice wines there eh. Dutschke!

Bob, Some might complain about the wine worthiness of a Mollydooker but having visited the winery and been given a lengthy talk on how they tend the vineyard, how they expect the wine to develop in barrel and then spending quite few hours tasting their lineup with Sparky's mum, I'm a fan. Plus they have just been awarded an Australia Day Wine award, to wit

OFFICER OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIAN WINE (AWO), For outstanding achievement and service. Mollydooker Wines: For services to alcohol.
Raising the middle finger to those who would plead for less alcohol in their wines is McLaren Vale's own rugged individual, Mollydooker Wines. The leftie continues to release blockbusters with alcohols so high you'd need a good run up and a lend of Steve Hooker's jumping pole to get over.

Australia Day Wine Awards - obviously tongue in cheek but good clean fun! Shiraz, of course, won a COMPANIONS OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIAN WINE (AWC), Our greatest honour, awarded for eminent achievement and merit of the highest degree. For services to wine enjoyment.

Wayne Dutschke makes wines of a completely different style in the Barossa. We will probably pull out a 2002 Oscar Semmler because it really does show a sense of place.

Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 am

Attended local winestores Xmas staff party with a visit to a very good Chinese restaurant. We drank a lot of German wines but the standout for me was the `06 Donnhoff Grauburgunder S.
14% alc, deep lemon color. Great nose/herb/spice/white stonefruit/long finish. Went terrific with oysters in black bean sauce. More notes to come asap.
14 courses, 20 wines total. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:12 am

I should have also mentioned the 2009 Hupfeld Hochheimer Konigin Victoriaberg Riesling Spatlese (Rheingau, Germany). New crew on board here, has gone through some rough patches I believe. Very traditional label, glass stopper.
Went very well with stuffed crab claws......puree of shrimp and a fine coating. Wine was sweet but a perfect match for many of us. Lots of complexity, long finish and only $30 Cdn I believe.

http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/2009/0 ... i-kim.html
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 am

Two interesting ones down the hatch last week as well as the Fronsac about which I wrote in the Merlot WF thread.

Ribera del Duero Pesquera Tinto Crianza 1994 – Bodegas Alejandro Fernandez – Alc.13%. This bottle showed lovely rich cherry aromatics with a varnish tinge not a million miles away from those of that Fronsac but much rounder and more concentrated. Body was quite full, sweet cherry with a liqueur streak dominated the red and dark fruit which were still fresh and lively, mouth-fill was generous and the warm tannic structure gave firm support to the quite long finish. A distinct plus, given the Spanish besetting sin of heavy oak treatment, was the absence residual evidence of wood other than discreet flecks of vanilla and a silky texture. Both richer and better than my memory and note on the 1995; excellent 17/20.

Steinfeld Grüner Veltliner 2011 – Alc.12% - (€3). I bought this generic GV in a bin-end sale at a local Carrefour for use in cooking but, on taking a test swig, decided to upgrade it to accompany an Alsatian choucroute. It was bone dry and honestly simplistic, showing attractive fragrance, crisp acidity and spice tinged minerals. Quite good 14.5/20++; but definitely not in the same league as most of Otto's GVs.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Mike Pollard wrote:
OFFICER OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIAN WINE (AWO), For outstanding achievement and service. Mollydooker Wines: For services to alcohol.
[i]Raising the middle finger to those who would plead for less alcohol in their wines is McLaren Vale's own rugged individual, Mollydooker Wines. The leftie continues to release blockbusters with alcohols so high you'd need a good run up and a lend of Steve Hooker's jumping pole to get over.
Mike

I was just going to ask if they've tempered the alcohol any, and then I read this part. Guess not!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Pollard

Rank

Ultra geek

San Diego

by Mike Pollard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Pollard wrote:
[i]Raising the middle finger to those who would plead for less alcohol in their wines is McLaren Vale's own rugged individual, Mollydooker Wines. The leftie continues to release blockbusters with alcohols so high you'd need a good run up and a lend of Steve Hooker's jumping pole to get over.
Mike

I was just going to ask if they've tempered the alcohol any, and then I read this part. Guess not!

Nope and I doubt that they ever will. Its the just the way they make their wines. Interestingly we tasted a group of 6 Aussies a couple of weeks ago at an in-store tasting and I asked the folks in our group to pick out the wine with the most alcohol. None of them picked the Mollydooker (Boxer) and oddly enough the Boxer led off the line-up but it was certainly not so hot and bothered to wreck appreciating the other wines which were all labeled as 14.5% while the 'dooker was 16%. I think if folks know the alcohol levels before they taste then you get complaints and comments but if they have to actually say which wines contain the most alcohol they usually get it wrong.

Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:23 am

Have to go with a Riesling, probably Leitz if i can find the kabinett I purchased at Xmas time :wink:
Next