Tip on using these forums

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Tip on using these forums

Postby Frank Deis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:44 pm

I visit another forum (one about mangas and Japanese stuff) which apparently uses the same basic software as this board, but it has the attractive feature that if you are logged in, when you click on a topic title, it takes you right to the first unread message, instead of the first message (as this board does). I have long understood that if you click on the white square after the last poster's name, you will go to the last message. But I didn't know how to get to the first UNREAD message. If you don't already realize it -- there is a way.

That symbol on the left which is red if there are unread messages and black if there aren't (and showing a dot if you've posted in the thread) -- immediately to the right of THAT (and to the left of the topic title) there is another square, and if you click on THAT you go to the first unread message.

I know this isn't about cooking, but this is the forum I read the most. If you think it's useful you can copy it elsewhere. Possibly everyone here knew this except me...
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Re: Tip on using these forums

Postby Jenise » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey, I help run the place and didn't realize that the little black dot is something separate from--and more useful!--than the orange square. Thank you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby John Treder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Well, I'll be diddled! It works!
Thanks, Frank.
John in the wine county
John Treder
Zinaholic

Postby Redwinger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 pm

My day is complete. I learned something new.
Danke.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Postby Barb Downunder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 pm

That's cool, thanks Frank
Barb Downunder
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm really surprised, and sorry, that you all didn't know that! You're talking about the orange squares that show up toward the left of each line with an unread message in the image below, right? They have a little black arrow at lower right, but they look mostly orange to me. Anyway, it's always done that. I'm sorry so many of you hadn't noticed it, as it is indeed a time saver.

image.jpg
Screen shot iPad
(474.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm really surprised, and sorry, that you all didn't know that! You're talking about the orange squares that show up toward the left of each line with an unread message in the image below, right? They have a little black arrow at lower right, but they look mostly orange to me. Anyway, it's always done that.

Yup. Learned about that years ago.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah, sorry, but I thought that everyone knew about that feature already. It makes it possible for folks like to me to figure out what's new in a forum like this.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Return to The Forum Kitchen