The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1986 du Tertre

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1986 du Tertre

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 pm

After spending the entire day working on my wine inventory spreadsheet, I sent it off to Cellar Tracker (finally, after all these years) and went in search of something old and French to celebrate with. This 1986 du Tertre got the nod: when I removed the foil I found a cork slightly depressed and corroded/wet looking without seepage. And though saturated, it came out whole with a distinct pop! that Bob heard from the next room. So not perfect, but not terribly concerning either. Decanted to remove sediment of which there was very little. Tasted it right away and it was balanced and complete, so we left it while we made a dinner salad that we enjoyed a glass of Napa Sauv Blanc (the 2011 Mason) with before turning to the main course.

In that gap, the sweet fruit I'd tasted earlier pulled back some, while the aromas of cedar, spice and sweet red apple skins became even more effusive. Over the next two hours it dried out even more, fading into strawberry-rhubarb and then rhubarb alone with the tannins while still promising something sweeter and better on the nose. Based on that, wouldn't be surprised to learn that other bottles show better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: WTN: 1986 du Tertre

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 am

Thank you, Jenise, for the note. I was especially interested since I have a few bottles of du Tertre. I understand yours may have been atypical. Many months ago I was enchanted by a woman from France who was in the wine shop. She sold me on the du Tertre, the 2008.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Jon, du Tertre is a favorite and I own a number of vintages--very traditionally styled. You won't be unhappy with your 08's! This 86 was my oldest, and a recent purchase so the provenance issue plus age of the bottle makes it impossible to be certain whether or not our bottle was typical. Btw, just checked for comparative notes on Cellar Tracker. There's only one, dated 2010, where they found the wine "young in appearance" and needing quite a bit of decanting before it showed as a "classic claret". That sort of suggests my bottle was further along the aging curve, but it's not a lock.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:18 am

Congrats on getting your cellar organized in CT!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 am

John, I look forward to hearing from them. (Am a little perturbed, I made the $150 donation 'suggested' for a cellar my size and received the perfunctory thank you notices for that, but in the 72 hours since haven't received a single acknowlegdement of receipt of the file). Which makes me uneasy.

Actually could have limped along forever with my Excel spreadsheet--for keeping track of what I own, it worked just fine. But I really look forward to having the wealth of CellarTracker data linked to what I own, and that's what compelled me to 'join'. You're on it, too?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Jenise wrote:John, I look forward to hearing from them. (Am a little perturbed, I made the $150 donation 'suggested' for a cellar my size and received the perfunctory thank you notices for that, but in the 72 hours since haven't received a single acknowlegdement of receipt of the file). Which makes me uneasy.

Actually could have limped along forever with my Excel spreadsheet--for keeping track of what I own, it worked just fine. But I really look forward to having the wealth of CellarTracker data linked to what I own, and that's what compelled me to 'join'. You're on it, too?

I'm sure they are working on it. Eric and his limited crew (1 guy?) are very good. And remember, it was a donation, not a payment for services! 8)

Will you be making your cellar public for other CTers (me!) to peruse?
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:18 pm

You're right, Jim. "Perturbed" was the wrong word, 'concerned' is more what I'm feeling. Just hope they got it.

And yeah: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :)