The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SWR: Cheese Prose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SWR: Cheese Prose

by TomHill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 am

Interesting article in today's NYTimes on the shelf talkers used in selling cheese:
NYTimes:CheeseProse

I like SteveJenkins' claim:
The customer has no idea what he or she wants. The customer is dying to be told what they want.

Hmmm...sound familiar???
As I read thru the article, I had this sorta uneasy feeling that something was missing here. Then it dawned on me...dohhhh....these shelf-talkers have no scores on them.
Cheese has just like wine...it varies from yr to yr and season to season. A Cheddar from Vermont is not the same as a cheddar from Wisconsin. There's a lot of fantasy names out there....TruffleTremor/ConsiderBardwell/BarickObama/HazyBlur...yada/yada/yada.
What this world needs is somebody to wrap around himself (or herself) the RalphNader mantle....write a newsletter (maybe call it the CheeseAdvocate)...advocate for the consumer...save us from ever buying "Swiss" cheese from Kraft wrapped in individual slices... develop a 100-pt scale...with MatosStGeorge as a 100 and Velveta an 80...maybe CheezeWhiz in a squirt can a 50. The possibilities are endless. Fame and fortune would be his/hers. Declare the March/2013 cheese harvest in Wisconsin the greatest vintage of the century. CowgirlCreamery Mt.Tam..."filled w/ gobs of hedonistic cream". It sort boggles the mind.
Anyway...the article is an interesting read.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: SWR: Cheese Prose

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am

That's too funny. I think I'll pass on the Cheese Advocate, thank you.

I love going into Formaggio in Cambridge, MA. telling them a few basic things (like - serving it with Port, some guests may not be into really stinky blues, etc.) having them let me taste 3-5 options and I pick some.

That's a lot of fun and I don't think the process needs to change.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

My favorite Steve Jenkins Fairway sign was for Cambozola , something like "this German cheese is made in a factory (and tastes like it). Supposedly a combination of Brie and Gorgonzola, it has the worst qualities of both. Somehow, despite its lack of character, people still buy it. Go figure”
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Gentlemen....

May I call your attention to CULTURE.

http://www.culturecheesemag.com/

:)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:02 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Gentlemen....
May I call your attention to CULTURE.
http://www.culturecheesemag.com/
:)

Yup, Brian...one of my favorite magazines. I've...ummmm...errr...followed it from the very start.
But they haven't figured out the 100-pt scale for cheeses yet!!!
Tom