Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Creamy Risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Creamy Risotto

by Gary Bobier » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am

I used to make a great risotto. The one I am making now has good taste but is not as creamy as I remember it. I know I am forgeting something. Can anyone help?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Creamy Risotto

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Have you changed rices? I think carnaroli and vialone nano tend to be a little creamier than arborio. From a technique standpoint hard to see what one can change, as long as sticks to the basics- cooking/coating with a little oil/butter, making sure the broth is hot as you add. Other than that hard to see what could vary in creaminess (other than doing what some do by "cheating" with a little butter or cream). I do think a good homemade broth tends to add some body compared to store broths, but not sure it makes creamier.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Did you leave out the Mascarpone?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm

For what it's worth, I've noticed that there's a fine tension between the rice being finished and then developing that creaminess. If one focuses too much on keeping a hint of al dente, then you're likely to pull the dish when the rice is fully cooked but not fully creamy yet. Another minute often finds it starting to "make its own gravy."

I don't know about mascarpone :lol: but of course stirring in a little Parmigiano and butter at the end (a la Marcella Hazan) will also take it up the creamy ladder a bit more. But even a vegan risotto - using any of the varieties - will get deliciously creamy as long as you cook it to that point, in my experience at least.
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:26 pm

If the Risotto happens to be a vegie mushroom blend along with the suggestion from Robin on the butter (yes please) and PR cheese you might try a
180 gram can of white truffles and porcini mushroom form Urbani Truffles. They are online. It takes the mushroom mixture of your risotto to another
flavor level.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:If the Risotto happens to be a vegie mushroom blend along with the suggestion from Robin on the butter (yes please) and PR cheese you might try a
180 gram can of white truffles and porcini mushroom form Urbani Truffles. They are online. It takes the mushroom mixture of your risotto to another
flavor level.

MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where have you been? I think of you just about every time I pass through Mt. Vernon! I'm so glad that you're, well...alive!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov