The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Recent notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Recent notes

by Florida Jim » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:54 am

2004 Zind-Humbrecht, Gewürztraminer:
At $17, the least expensive Z-H I have seen in awhile but this has a very expressive, spicy nose and is just packed with flavor, bone dry, beautifully detailed, and, length that is not to be believed. I don’t drink much of this variety but I will buy this again.

1992 Sullivan, Cabernet Sauvignon:
Gently oaky, rich and ripe fruit, good grip and lots of layers. And at 14 years old, in no danger of fading. About $46, on release; I’d not buy it again but only because I have little use for cabernet – it’s certainly more intriguing than many present day cabs. at multiples of its price.

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:
Wonderful wine; it has softened to the point that it feels viscous in the mouth and the texture is satin but the flavors are still bright and intricate, the structure is solid and the finish is long and cleansing. About $7, on sale; imported by Louis/Dressner; I’d buy it again at three times that price.

2002 Barthod, Bourgogne Les Bons Bâton:
Lightweight, ripe flavors, silken texture and nice balance. A pretty, “little” wine but fuller in the mouth than these descriptors might indicate. Imported by Rosenthal and about $22, on release; I’d pay that again.

N/V Colet, Cava A Priori:
Very similar to Champagne with a strong bead, ripe apple and lemon-lime fruit, some yeast tones, 11.5% alcohol and a hint of sweetness. I like this but, among inexpensive bubblies, I like Nino Franco’s, Prosecco Rustico a little better for its bone dry delivery.
Imported by Vinos and Gourmet and about $15; I’d buy it again but not in quantity.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Recent notes

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:39 pm

Nice to hear the report on the Z-H Jim. Laura and I both love Gewurz (and Muscat for that matter) and a dry example is always welcome.

Sigh...I did not get on the Muscadet bandwagon until 2004.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Agree with you on the ZH. I recently bought a few bottles at $27.95 (Canadian) and it is a truly amazing wine.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:53 pm

Jim -

I tasted the 04 Z-H Gewurz recently and had mixed feelings about the wine. It had the expressive nose you describe but finished with a bitter note and a little alcohol heat that I didn't like. The shop doing the tasting had the wine for sale for $32 which makes me wonder if it was a vineyard designated Gewurztraminer rather than the basic one. This store has higher prices than most. I did note that the wine had 14.5% abv listed. Do you remember if yours had the same alcohol?

Unfortunately I drank all my 02 Clos des Allees. Have you tried the 2005 version? I like it almost as much as the 02 at this stage.

Thanks.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:12 pm

Marc D wrote:Jim -

Do you remember if yours had the same alcohol?

Nope.
But I'm going back for some (my note was from an in-store tasting) and will post.
'Haven't tried the 05 Allees; I have a lot of the 02.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars