The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three For Dinner...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three For Dinner...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Tried these last night, opening one after nuther till I got something drinkable:
1. SansLiegeWines 63%Syrah/37%Mourvedre SBCnty TheProphetess (15.4%; 45 cs) CurtSchalchlin NV: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; some blackberry/plummy/licorice slight alcoholic some dusty/earthy rather attractive/interesting nose; quite bitter/astringent/tannic slight licorice/plummy/blackberry/Syrah bit earthy/dusty interesting flavor; med. quite bitter/astringent/tannic/harsh light plummy/licorice/blackberry some dusty/earthy finish; a rather interesting nose but profoundly bitter/astringent on the palate & not likely to soften or smooth out.
2. SansLiegeWines Grenache CentralCoast (12 brls; 15.7%) 2006: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; light strawberry/Grenache quite dusty/earthy some fumey/alcoholic nose; slightly tart rather bitter/astringent/tannic slight chocolaty/strawberry/Grenache rather earthy/dusty/chalky flavor; med. rather bitter/astringent/tannic/hard earthy/dusty/chalky slight chocolaty/strawberry/Grenache finish; too bitter/astringent on the palate and lacks fruit; not evolved well.
3. Cabot Zin Tributary KlamathRiver/HumboltCnty (100cs; 15%; www.CabotVineyards.com) Orleans 2004: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; rather earthy/dusty some herbal/rosemary/thyme/pungent light blackberry/Zin very interesting nose that speaks quietly of Zin; slightly tart some blackberry/Zin/root beer/spicy lightly herbal/rosemary/thyme/pungent slight tannic/dried out somewhat complex flavor; long some tart light blackberry/spicy/Zin rather pungent/herbal/rosemary/thyme slight tannic/dried out finish; quite an interesting red that speaks lightly of Zin and more like a rustic Languedoc or Corsican red.
1. SanLiege: This is the effort of CurtSchalchlin. Followed him from the very start/I did/I did; when he first showed his wines at HdR. Wines were made at the coop in SantaMaria, tasting room in PismoBeach.
These wines were loaded w/ intense fruit when I first tried them and I liked them a lot. But they have not evolved well at all. The noses were pretty interesting, but they were very overextracted/bitter/astringent/hard/hurtey on the palate and just too painful to drink.
2. Cabot: This is, of course, JohnCabot up in Orleans in HumboltCnty. Followed him from the very start when he showed his Syrah at HdR. This Zin was showing a little wear&tear, but certainly was a pleasure to drink w/ my leftover meatballs & percatelli. It was a rather terroir-driven wine (that's a code word for a wine that doesn't show "gobs of hedonistic fruit"). It reminded me some of Zin from NevadaCnty or SantaCruzMtns. Had a lot of garrigue character that suggested the Vignalta Sale alle Erbe. Drink up afore it tanks.
3. Vignalta: This is, of course, LucioGomiero, who makes some impressive wines in the ColliEuganie. His Apinae dessert orange muscat is terrific. He also makes an herbed salt (Sale alle Erbe) that I get at Corti's. My favorite flavored salt.
Although wines are Lucio's claim to fame, you have undoubtedly had another of his products....Radicchio. In Italy, it grows sorta like a weed and a difficult crop to harvest. Lucio developed a technique that allows him to harvest Radicchio consistently at one time, allowing very favorable economics. He has a large farm in Salinas and produces something like 80% of the world's crop. RuussParsons did a nice article on him in the LATimes:
LATimes:Lucio

Interesting guy I'd like to meet sometime.
Tom