Omelet of the Week

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Omelet of the Week

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Who likes omelets? I don't know anyone that doesn't There are many ways to prepare them and limitless ingredients that can be used. It is fun inventing new ones according to what is growing wild in our region, what is ripening in our garden, or at least, what is in season in the shuk. I write about these on the israelwinetaster.com blog and you can see thelist of the "fruits" of my labor during the past year in this link http://israelwinetaster.com/omelets-list/. The last article was the Capers & Cheese Omelet because these are now ready for picking.

You are invited to enjoy the reading, cooking, and eating these delicious and sometimes very unusual omelets.

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Re: Omelet of the Week

Postby Andrew B » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:25 pm

You use fresh caper berries?
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Kovnat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:34 am

Andrew Breskin wrote:You use fresh caper berries?

Where have I been since July????? I completely forgot that I started this "string" sooooo long ago. :oops:

No to the fresh caper berries question. I don't think these are even edible fresh. It would be like eating fresh olives. I eat and use them in the omelet after a year in brine. But they are of such a distinct and strong taste that a few are generally used as a flavoring in a dish and not as the star performer up there on stage as in the omelet that I created.

Anyone out there into creating omelets. I invite you to share them with us on the forum.

Dan
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
Daniel Kovnat
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 am

Ok, here's my omelet: Use usual omelet-making quantities upon the number of participants and your own taste of course.

- Eggs

- Cream at 15% fat (or 3% fat milk if you're concerned with calories and fat).

- Fresh whole Basil leaves

- Sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil

- Some freshly ground black pepper if you like it spicy (optional)

- Also optional, some cheese (ricotta works great here)

I my opinion, no additional salt is required as sun-dried tomatoes are already quite salty as is.

Cut the sun-dried tomatoes in 2-3 pieces, mix the eggs first then add the cream/milk, then add the whole leaves of basil and the pepper then finally the tomatoes and mix gently with a fork until you get a coherent, homogeneous preparation. Heat up a pan with some olive oil from the tomatoes' jar and pour the preparation into the pan while keeping the fire at a medium level. Wait 2-3 minutes then gently turn the omelet upside down but if it falls apart that's ok, just mix it in the pan and watch it neither doesn't burn nor overcook until it reaches your favorite cooking level (I like it "medium").

Wine pairing: dry champagne/sparkling for white or Sangiovese or Barbera (Israeli option: Tzuba Harmony or Lueria Rosso would do the trick).

B'teavon (Bon Appetit!), enjoy! :)

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm

This sounds perfect, must try.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby lewis.pasco » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:06 pm

The best omelete ever - or at least best atypical omelete ever - is made from sauteed green apples and roquefort or gorgonzola or any other great Blue cheese. You can add fresh herbs like thyme or chives or basil or mint too, just go easy on the herbs.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner